Let me start off by saying I don't want politics to play out on that stage and react the same way as you do... but I want to bring a different point of view and play devil's advocate just a little.

As an actor you are framed by your work that is most often written by someone else and not necessarily who you are as a person. You also tend to be a passionate type of person who believes in different causes but your media appearances are almost always in support of a project that you must promote rather than your own causes.

At an awards show, especially the largest one, you are given a massive platform to speak to hundreds of millions of people from your heart Therefore, you can make a choice... Call out and thank people (most of whom you see all the time and that you can personally thank at any point) or use that platform to highlight a situation or cause that has a very deep meaning to yourself but that doesn't get the kind of media attention or support that you believe it deserves.

Understanding that even if the reaction is negative, it still brings attention to the cause that you mentioned and sparks a conversation that wasn't being had the week before you won the award. As a passionate person yourself, would you pass up this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring attention to something you truly care about in favor of listing some, but not all, of the people who worked on the project that brought you the award?

Please indulge me taking it a step further... What would your reaction have been if instead of some dumbass dairy thing, an actor whose house was spared in the California wildfires spoke about that. Instead of naming off people from the movie that brought him the award, he thanked all those brave firefighters who put their lives on the line in that endeavor.

How about if he named and thanked those that lost their lives and giving condolences to their families speaking about the sacrifice that Joe Smith's 15 year old son who hopes to go to USC and play baseball in a couple of years or John Brown's 6 year old daughter who loved petting the firehouse dog must now live with? In 2002, were you upset that so many people receiving awards mentioned 9/11 and the first responders? I am guessing not.

To be clear, I am not comparing those types of acceptance speeches to what Joaquin said. I am just pointing out that those things which may be acceptable to you are also not just thinking those people who worked on the movie. Personally, I actually didn't like 2002 nor would I like the firefighter thing but I can't really fault someone who has that platform for such a short amount of time making a decision to talk about something they care deeply about rather than listing off names.