Hello Cheyenne. I have mixed feelings about this. As fetishists and kinksters we need venues to meet, teach, network and celebrate. Hotels are really the only viable venue for large events. If an event is large enough it can take over the hotel but that is rare. Even events like Fetish Con and DomCon still have vanilla people intermingling with kinksters in elevators and common areas.

I agree that people should not have this foisted on them because they chose to stay at the "wrong" hotel. If we would all be more responsible maybe we could co-exist.

1. Hotels need to do a better job of disclosure to guests and other parties booking events. Sometimes hotels do a good job of disclosure but most of the time they don't. I don't know if it's because booking is now almost fully automated or if they just don't care. One of the worst transgressions I've ever seen was a family reunion being held at the same hotel as a kink event. They rented a ball room and many were staying at the hotel - everything from children to great grannies. The sales department really blew it on that one.

2. Kinksters need to be more discreet. Personally I have a problem with public scenes like leading a sub around on a leash unless it's a kink friendly venue. I know that gets to be a gray area. In My opinion, a hotel lobby is not appropriate (unless the it's a takeover) but Bourbon Street is. In addition, some fetish wear is appropriate for public consumption and others isn't. Just because something is street legal doesn't mean you should wear it in a hotel lobby or a restaurant.

Regarding children, it's preferable that their parents are able to explain the oddities of the world at a time of their choosing, but it doesn't always work that way. I don't have children, so my voice is small on this, but they can see worse on their phones, computer and televisions.

I am not familiar with the news article you mention, but on the surface it does sound like the hotel should have dealt with the situation more sensitively. I hate it when people use the "we don't discriminate" line to avoid penalty. It cheapens the argument for when it is really important.

Main website: www.mistressayn.com
Content site: www.aynrules.com
Follow Me on Twitter - @MistressAyn