Originally Posted By Komodo
maybe to stir the pot I would say that the guy who wrote the article has the wrong attitude but maybe a valid argument. Let us consider two mistresses making $300 an hour. Mistress A ups it to $350 and mistress B lowers it to $250. Let's say they pay $80 to the dungeon and spend one hour each way travelling and preparing for the session. At the end of 1 day with one hour session mistress A earns $250 for spending 3 hours. But if mistress B gets as a result of her more competitive rate an average session of 2 hours she gets $320 for 4 hours. The real hourly rate is the same but at the end of the day mistress B takes more money home and has more flexibility and security.

This is certainly a valid argument. However, it doesn't take into consideration a lot of things that people don't typically think about.

First thing is that I don't think folx consider that if you're paying $300 for an hour session it's really somewhere between 4 - 6 hours of work. So the $300 is really more like maybe $50-75 per hour. For the cost of everything that goes into it -- equipment, consumables, wardrobe, administrative costs -- in addition to the higher level of risk we have doing this work, this is actually a very reasonable rate.

Second, we do a lot of work that is not directly paid for. All the photos, preview clips, articles, and other erotic content, is often freely shared, and infrequently, if not rarely, are any "thank you" tributes sent to those producing it, even though people receive benefits from that work.

Third, I think if you asked a lot of serious Dommes if they felt it was worth cutting their tribute by $50/hour in hopes of gaining what would probably amount to few -- if any -- additional clients, they would probably say it wouldn't be. In fact, some people intentionally set prices as a strategy. For example, having a lower tribute is likely to attract "lower quality" clients.

Fourth, there is a cultural aspect to FemDom that makes this different than every other business: women are centralized and revered. As a result, women may place a premium on what we offer. This can bother people who are not aware of or interested in the cultural element because they tend to understand women as sex objects who "owe" them.

Edited by Mistress Tissa (01/02/20 12:25 AM)