Several Dominants with psychology degrees or backgrounds have started to frame sessions in a therapeutic context. Below is an article from The UK about this practice:
BDSM as therapy

As a Dominant, I have actually encountered emotional releases from a sub during corporal (I have to admit it was incredibly disconcerting to have her crying and shaking like that while I was spanking her... As well as difficult to ignore and continue even though I instinctually knew a good thing was happening). Because of that, I know that BDSM play can tap into things that words and discussion can't... Even when that isn't what a Dominant is going for.

However, as a sub, I have always felt BDSM was sexual rather than therapeutic and when I start hearing a Domme talk about healing crystals and Shakras in conjunction with this "therapy", I admit to internal "eye-rolling” at the discussion. So, my question to the board is whether this idea of including elements of BDSM into therapy is a valuable use or just Dominants trying to feel more legitimate than they do if it is classified as just "sex work"?