I think it was a SESTA/FOSTA reaction.

And the crypto algorithms really are good -- they can't break them. But when you send a message, there are so many links in the chain, and many of the other links are weak. There's your computer or your phone, the operating system, your internet provider, the backbone carriers who route the traffic through the internet, etc.

I mean, as dumb as it sounds, if someone with protonmail is corresponding with a gmail person, they can just serve google with a subpoena for the other person's account.

Google is very secure, although they will comply with the law and honor warrants.

But in the real world a derranged sub or ex is probably more of a threat to a domme than the government, and a gmail account protected by a yubikey is almost certainly more secure than a protonmail account.

I think about Reality Winner a lot. In the time after Snowden made his leaks and was lionized, lots of reporters were setting up secure drops, telling people to use GPG, etc. They told people that if they used those tools they'd be safe. Reality Winner trusted those promises, and she went to jail.

If there's something that's going to put you in jail, or end your marriage, don't do it. If you really feel you must do it, be fucking careful, and don't put blind trust in comptuer security.

We see banks, big companies, governments, political campaigns, getting hacked all the time. Security is hard, and almost no one is very good at it. I'm certainly not.