At this point I have a few Dommes that I have established connections to, but generically, especially if travelling...here's my process
1: Review "about" section, as usually it gives info that's important.
2: Review pictures, as there does need to be a connection, but it's more than just "looks" it's "The Look" as I'm a lover of latex and leather, as well as corsets...
3: I look at interests, specialties, limits, as those are gonna matter.
4: I look at location, call me old fashioned, but I prefer Dungeon scenarios vs others
5: I look at cost. Respectfully, I don't balk on price, but I don't move forward if it's not comparable to ONE of best Dommes in world Ive had the pleasure to submit to. So, if it's more than what she charges, I have no reason to delve outside of perfection for higher costs. I know she's gonna push me, pull me, chain me and train me, and while variety is a spice, hard to overcome that.

After all of that, I'll look for reviews. I prefer to get from sites like this, as you know they aren't staged reviews. I've NEVER seen a Mistress based on a review, but I have certainly avoided them based on the feedback I've been given here and Max (prior)