I've usually experienced a kind of mental "reboot," as you termed it below, after sessioning. And I think making oneself as vulnerable as you do in a session, and to communicate as thoroughly as is required, has a kind of therapeutic element.

But I've for a while wrestled with a kind of related question, which is how should one's kink or BDSM wiring be discussed or acknowledged within a conventional therapy session. I've never done therapy but have thought about it sometimes as various life adversities -- some minor and some devastating -- have come up. I've always hesitated (even as everyone I know does therapy) because I feel that I'd have to include discussion of my kinks with the therapist. At the same time, I don't think kink is a primary problem right now (or maybe any problem.) I'll look up kink-friendly therapists and feel that they are most often kink-focused. But then I won't want to talk to someone who is going to pathologize me for having kink interests, and for whom I'll have to censor myself.

Anyway, that's a ramble and a tangent, but would be curious if anyone has thoughts on where their BDSM interests fit within traditional therapy.