Komodo thought that what I said about BDSM being illegal in New Jersey was unbelievable, so here you go:

https://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=Publish:10.1048/Enu

(link not purposefully make active so the NJ website doesn't see a bunch of referrals from this site)

In statute 34:1, it defines "prostitution" as including "sadistic or masochistic abuse and other deviate sexual relations."

The others states in which their prostitution statutes specifically includes sadomasochistic abuse or some variant as a "sexual act" or "sexual contact":

Arizona
Hawaii
Louisiana
Maryland
DC

States in which toilet play (urine and/or feces) is included in the statute about prostitution:

New Hampshire
North Carolina
North Dakota

States in which the definition of "touching genitals" and/or "masturbation" could include CBT:

Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Texas
Washington

States in which there are extremely broad definitions which include anything designed for "sexual gratification" or that which is "lewd" and "lascivious":

Delaware
Oklahoma

State in which a live BDSM show is considered illegal due to "indecency":

Oregon

State in which "basic dominance and submission" are specifically EXCLUDED from the prostitution statute:

New York

This is not a complete list of all statues and it doesn't qualify as a substitute for legal advice from an attorney.

(Credit to attorney Steven Sandler for the source I'm citing.)

Are these enforced? I can't tell you the extent of the enforcement of these laws. It doesn't seem they are for the most part because otherwise you wouldn't have people in these areas advertising the things which are included in the statutes. Ignorance of the law wouldn't last long.

That said, it's still worthwhile to be familiar with the statutes in the places we play so we can go about this wisely.

Edited by Mistress Tissa (07/15/19 12:31 AM)