First off all, the sub who cancelled on you with virtually no notice, no reason and no offer to somehow make it up to you is just an ass.

His actions, and those like him, force Dommes to implement business strategies, like deposits, references etc to protect themselves from inconsiderate and insincere subs. I certainly can't fault a Domme for protecting their financial interests from timewasters and bullshit artist.

Because I understand the rationale for deposit requests, I don't have a problem paying one. Having said that, in all my years of seeing ProDommes I have only been asked for a deposit on one occasion. Perhaps it's because I tend to play with highly experienced and well known Dommes who fortunately are satisfied with the references I can provide.

Also, it is so easy to schedule a session. A few emails is all it takes. There is no real connection and both Domme and sub are really completely anonymous to each other. If there is blowback from being a no show it's simply a matter of creating a new name and email address to get right back into the game.

Deposits are just an inevitable evolution of the business, perhaps an unintended consequence of the internet age.