Honestly, I was thinking about that when I was posting that reply... Which is why I enjoy these kinds of conversations, because it makes me examine things rather than just live with it. So thank you Mistress Tissa.

One explanation is that I am a switch who is naturally a dominant person, so being a sub actually already feels like I am playing a role rather than it being my natural state. But, it still feels real to me. If, instead of sinking into my subbiness I have to be something else it just doesn't click.

The other explanation is that when I submit, especially in a session situation, I tend to shut off the active part of my brain (although many people will tell you that is never on to begin with smile ). I tend to lose the ability to talk when I do have to do so, it actually takes me further away from subspace rather than pushing me towards it. So, role play... which usually involves active interaction and acting... thinking and talking... just engages parts of my brain that get in the way of where I want to go while playing.

Not sure which one of these is the reason or if it is a combination of the two, but those are the things I came up with.