ztrade,

I have experienced hot wax in sessions more time than I can count (which may say something about my math skills). Different types of candles do burn at different temperatures so the amount of pain of the first drips can be very different but overall it is really only the first drips that hit the skin that actually are painful.

The pain from hot was is more like a quick spike that dissipates and although that spike may be painful, it is nothing in comparison being caned or whipped (or even paddled) in my opinion. After a bit, the wax starts hitting on the wax that is already there and it is more of a feeling of encasement than additional pain.

From a "surprise" standpoint, I have had wax applied to my body while being bound to a table and blindfolded/hooded, so yes the first drip (or pour from a candle that may have been burning/puddling for a while) may have surprised me. However, that is definitely a momentary situation as it is obvious from both smell and feel exactly what is happening. Overall, I think wax play is better served by not being a surprise as the visual of the threat and the ritual of lighting the candle and the Domme playing with it as the wax melts before it is applied is really part of that kind of play.

Asp