It was Linus Pauling who is quoted as saying,

The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas.

Anyone can complain that some specified fraction of what I have posted is not helpful . . . and someone else would say thanks to me for having suggested 1 to 5 useful ideas or however many.

If we go by the principle advocated by Linus Pauling, why complain, given that you or we or I also know that some people have appreciated at least one or more of my ideas and felt them to be useful?

You folks should also realize that at least one of my ideas, on a different topic or area of domination, I suggested or proposed in a post . . . and later found the idea under a different name in the menu listing of a successful, long-standing domme of many years. I make no claim that she got the idea from reading a post of mine on maxfisch . . . In fact I assume that she didn't.

She is simply willing to practice what seems to me to be an obvious and useful idea that other dommes do not . . . or, at least, do not mention.

I've been asked from time to time, "How does it happen that you have made so many discoveries? Are you smarter than other scientists?" And my answer has been that I am sure that I am not smarter than other scientists. I don't have any precise evaluation of my IQ, but to the extent that psychologists have said that my IQ is about 160, I recognize that there are one hundred thousand or more people in the United States that have IQs higher than that. So I have said that I think I think harder, think more than other people do, than other scientists. That is, for years, almost all of my thinking was about science and scientific problems that I was interested in.
--Linus Pauling

If you want to have good ideas you must have many ideas. Most of them will be wrong, and what you have to learn is which ones to throw away.
--Linus Pauling

Linus Pauling was not always right in his ideas. But my belief is that, in most cases, if somebody is always right in his ideas you find that he does not have much to say. It is an expression of somebody's fertility that he does produce quite a number of ideas, and I think Linus Pauling's score is pretty high... I do not think, as I said earlier, that it is right to discuss the impact of Linus Pauling on molecular biology. Rather, he was one of the founders of molecular biology. It was not that it existed in some way, and he simply made a contribution. He was one of the founders who got the whole discipline going.
--Francis Crick, winner of Nobel Prize for helping to discover DNA

He [Pauling] used his scientific credentials to challenge the government's claims that fallout from nuclear testing was not harmful.

The right wing of the 1950s denounced Pauling as a Communist, or at the least a fellow traveler. Pauling and his wife were, in fact, openly active in several organizations dominated by Soviet sympathizers, as well as dozens of others. But they were never apologists for the Soviet party line, or any other organizational dogma, nor did Pauling refrain from challenging the Soviets when he thought them wrong.

Edited by ztrade (03/16/17 10:34 AM)