Down deep Savage wants to believe that orientation is binary i.e. either straight or gay and that the other options are merely equivocations by gays who cannot fully accept what they are. Not surprisingly he has had a history of problems with bisexuals, transsexuals and asexuals. In regard to those valid orientations I do not side with Savage but in the case of kink I think he's right. The argument being made here that kink is an orientation oddly reminds me of the argument that "demisexuality" is an orientation which I don't buy either.

Connected with this is the issue of whether a kinky person can genuinely enjoy vanilla sex. I certainly do. I guess there are some who cannot enjoy anything that is devoid of kink I would like to think they are in the minority. And then there is the phenomena of dommes who claim that they do indeed get aroused in many of their sessions but their private love-life is vanilla. How does this make any sense if kink is an orientation?

As for "fixed and unshakable" does that mean that a person's fantasies remain constant all through their life. Hmm that's not exactly true in my case. I have been thinking about starting a thread about going through phases using my own as an example. How is it possible to go through a phase if it is "fixed and unshakable"?