Originally Posted By forsythia
I feel that anyone can successfully form a relationship with anyone if both people have enough self awareness and the emotional and spiritual maturity that usually goes along with it. We should be careful about over segmenting our lives. I'm not saying there aren't challenges to a former client blossoming into a lover but of course it can be done.

Couldn't agree more with Forsythia, and the point about self-awareness and maturity is spot-on.

The notion that it never happens just isn't factual. Rare yes; and it certainly may be something a particular individual will never do. But just because never is the personal position or experience of one, or even most people, doesn't make it true for everyone.

If you play long enough and get to know people across the country, odds are you'll eventually run into one of these relationships. Karin Winslow and Lana Wachowski are real, not imaginary. There are contemporary examples too. And it will happen between interested, consenting adults in the future.

I think the notion that these relationships are inherently doomed is an overgeneralization too. Of course most will end, just as most vanilla relationships do. And of course there are unique and difficult challenges to overcome. But the end result isn't always predetermined.