I have been a member there for longer than I can remember & I can tell you research will get you nothing. The site has almost died and gone off-line for days/weeks multiple times on the last few years.

There is an admin who basically just allows it to continue running on the servers it is currently on, which are glitchy. No one on the board knows why the site still operates considering it has been ignored for 5 years or so (the creation of the Buzz was a reaction to the expectation that MF was going to be shut down after an ownership change years ago) but its probably because it costs next to nothing; isn't a headache since they choose to not be involved; and like the archive of all the old interactions.

The domain actually did expire either last year or 2019 and it looked like that was the end, but then it was renewed about two weeks later. In that time The Buzz had a huge uptick in both members & posts (many of whom have stayed here).

As for getting an account, my guess is that your problem is that it is glitching when you are trying to create the account. Considering how long it takes for just clicking on posts sometimes, my guess is that its going to be a hit & miss proposition. Which is why you are better off just participating and growing this community since most of the MF regulars will end up here once it finally dies.