MissMary said..."One thing is for sure. The person bottoming for that experience either has a very high or low level of self esteem. I can't tell which."

I disagree somewhat with this comment. I don't think that engaging in degradation play always has much to do with a sub's level of self esteem. Although, I suppose it depends on your definition of "heavy degradation play"

While I have frequently incorporated elements of degradation (as opposed to verbal humiliation) in play. I process things like kneeling, crawling ,boot licking, eating off of the floor, or being force fed through a piss gag as being more about control and power. More of a demonstration of the Domme's control and my helplessness.

As to aftercare I don't find degradation play in session requires any more or less aftercare than any of the other elements of the session. For me that's 5-10 minutes of a pleasant chat after a quick shower and getting dressed....and maybe a bottle of water before "Thanks again.....take care" and a hug upon departure.