Originally Posted By Soapy
My answer is conditional.

I think the historical roots of wives & children taking a man's name are based on flawed thinking and oppression.

I also think doing the inverse to make a statement is still reinforcing that tradition and still rests on the same faulty thinking.

I do think there is practical value in a couple and their children all sharing the same last name.

Outside of practical issues I don't have a strong preference for any style of nomenclature.

I would take a woman's last name if doing so had a strong meaning for her and if I agreed with that meaning. I would do it out of my love for her.

I agree with what you're saying here, Soapy.

I would not take anyone's name, man or otherwise. I would not expect him to do the same for me (though my last two partners indicated they would take my name if we married).

As a person who has a knee-jerk response to various traditions, I would rather see men take women's names. But tend to think that what's even more interesting is when a partnership results in a new name for them both. Whether it's hyphenated or a new name altogether. A potential genealogical headache, but fitting symbolically.

Edited by Mistress Tissa (05/24/20 05:58 AM)