I would take a woman's last name if doing so had a strong meaning for her and if I agreed with that meaning. I would do it out of my love for her.

That is such a cool feeling on the subject. At the end of the day, if someone is going to be a life partner with someone, they need to care about each other's feelings while being secure about their relationship. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, my daughter is so grieving the loss of her father that she is considering taking his last name back. My son in law is completely cool about it. He'd probably change his too if it made his wife happy. As for me, I'm a traditional person. My late husband and I loved our kinky play but our home life was as vanilla as it gets. (Most of the time.) I wouldn't consider marrying a man if I wouldn't take his last name. Other people feel differently. So, I don't see the big deal over it. In a femdom novel....oh....this could be fun. It has inspired a new video for subbyhubby. I'm thinking about arranged marriages and husband auctions. lol.