Originally Posted By AspX

My understanding is that AVN only exists because of CES. Originally the adult industry was a part of it but in a separate area of the convention, then when CES kicked out the adult vendors AVN established their own separate convention that happened to run at the same time in Vegas. Eventually, AVN moved to several weeks later and CES started letting limited adult products back in.

That's about right. Initially, the only "adult products" at CES were videos and sex dolls, and the "business" side was about how to sell them, both to individuals and to sex shops. They didn't have Bluetooth vibrators and barely had 3D movies back then. Eventually it got big enough to get moved out to the parking lot, after a year or two of that, it became a separate but concurrent show with its own admission.

It's not clear to me if CES ever actually kicked adult products out, but they certainly didn't encourage them, and that business about revoking (and then re-instating) the award brought them to what they have this year, which is a one-year experiment to see how it goes. I have no predictions.