by Cheyenne
04/25/24 06:39 AM
Session Rates going down
by Mistress Tissa
04/23/24 08:46 PM
X POST?
by Soapy
04/23/24 09:34 AM
Dungeon Rentals in Greater Los Angeles or Orange County CA?
by Domina_Felicity_Hart
04/22/24 06:56 PM
New Reviews
Not Quite Reviews but...A List Amazing Mistresses I've Served over the Yrs
by Mistress Tissa
04/14/24 10:22 PM
Domina Sophie Agenoux of LA and San Francisco
by Domina M
04/14/24 04:23 AM
Mistresses Ultra Violet & Carissa Montgomery
by KYboy
04/10/24 04:57 AM
Domina Sohpie Agenoux of Los Angels (SF and Paris too). INCREDIBLE
by EvedLeNashim
04/09/24 05:52 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#8739 - 12/14/19 06:06 PM Here is a link from her Twitter that allows access to the article [Re: langerr]
Mme Veronica Offline
Regular

#8740 - 12/14/19 06:30 PM Re: Article: "I Told My Mentor I Was a Dominatrix: She rescinded her letters of recommendation [Re: Soapy]
Soapy Online   happy
Addict

I feel like a lot of people, even very smart ones misunderstand prejudice.

They see it as a particular group getting targeted, rather than as the mental (faulty) process that targets groups of people.

I've heard these gems all of my life

"I can't be prejudiced. I'm black!"

"I can't be sexist. I'm a woman!"

Sadly, academics are not immune from this cognitive cog skipping.

The set of people who truly understand prejudice is small. Even smaller is the set of people who have that understanding and who have the courage to change their behavior on that understanding before societal support catches up with them.

People who will take a look outside of prescribed boundaries are rare. People who can see between the lines are rarer still. People who have the courage to live by what they see are even rarer.

How sad for her advisor being an academic and failing to be in any of those sets.

Her thinking only walks on paved, well lit paths.

Edited by Soapy (12/14/19 06:36 PM)

#8741 - 12/14/19 07:15 PM Re: Article: "I Told My Mentor I Was a Dominatrix: She rescinded her letters of recommendation [Re: Soapy]
Mme Veronica Offline
Regular

Until very recently, it was socially and academically acceptable to condemn us as hopeless perverts.

Many psychologists are now coming around to the undeniable FACT that BDSM in and of itself is not a pathology. This is due to the DSM-V, which came out a couple of years ago. Outside of psychology, I don't think that these changes are generally known by people in other fields. Even the medical field (my field), as I have learned. That, and many people in academia are fucking snobs-- it is an ugly, competitive world in which they live.

It's ironic that her mentor comes from a world in which free thinking and inquiry are supposedly exalted, but the fact is that many of them are clamoring toward mediocrity. It's all just so hypocritical.

You're welcome for the uplifting post smile

xoxo.

V

#8745 - 12/14/19 09:34 PM Re: Article: "I Told My Mentor I Was a Dominatrix: She rescinded her letters of recommendation [Re: Mme Veronica]
Soapy Online   happy
Addict

Originally Posted By Mme Veronica

You're welcome for the uplifting post smile

Ha ha ha.

I agree with you about academia. I consider it a blessing I didn't end up there.

Nobody cares what I think and it is a tremendous freedom.

Edited by Soapy (12/14/19 10:57 PM)

#8747 - 12/15/19 11:07 AM Re: Article: "I Told My Mentor I Was a Dominatrix: She rescinded her letters of recommendation [Re: Mme Veronica]
Kneel4Her Offline
Regular

Loc: GA
Until very recently, it was socially and academically acceptable to condemn us as hopeless perverts.

This has been true for other "disorders". Over time, society comes to realize that what was once thought a disorder, is uptight christian values guiding what is considered illness. I'm not blanket criticizing christians, but there are some that do like to cast stones.

Homosexuality was categorized as a disorder up until the release of the DSM-III I believe. Gender Identity Disorder was in the DSM-IV, but has been removed from the DSM-V. There was a time (and for some backward thinking it's still acceptable) when it was socially acceptable to condemn homosexuality. Although there is movement, there is still a large group fighting vehemently against accepting transgender.

This is where I believe mainstream media and Hollywood play a vital role. Think back to when Ellen came out. I know there were famous gay people before this, but, she was very popular and well liked. She went so far as to make her TV character gay. shocked There was backlash, but it opened a door for others to eventually feel like they could come out.

Now we are in the midst of the battle of acceptance over transgender. Chaz Bono came out followed by Caitlyn Jenner. I would like to think eventually this won't be so taboo and the transgender community will no longer be labeled perverts.

Which brings me to BDSM and Fifty Shades of Grey. I know many in the BDSM community roll their eyes at the mention of fifty shades of anything, BUT, you have to admit it has on a very small scale made acceptance of kink a little more acceptable. I know many women who admit (while blushing) they read the books or saw the movies. I think we need more movies and books.

That, and many people in academia are fucking snobs

V

Unfortunate truth. What that mentor did was disgraceful for someone who is educated and should embrace differing thoughts and opinions.

#8776 - 12/16/19 08:01 PM Re: Article: "I Told My Mentor I Was a Dominatrix: She rescinded her letters of recommendation [Re: Soapy]
Mme Veronica Offline
Regular

HA!

#8777 - 12/16/19 08:21 PM Re: Article: "I Told My Mentor I Was a Dominatrix: She rescinded her letters of recommendation [Re: Kneel4Her]
Mme Veronica Offline
Regular

I believe that the DSM-V made a few breakthroughs: 1) In asserting that transgenderism is not a pathology, and 2) "Paraphilias" are now understood as not being inherently fucked up, but cause for concern only in certain cases where it gets in the way of living one's daily existence. Or if it is nonconsensual.

I have said for many years that kinky people need to have their own parade in order to assert our own pride. The gay pride parade includes us, but the visibility is very low. Fifty Shades of Grey could have been a huge moment for us but the stars of the movie pathologized us, so that was a wash.

I agree that celebrities talking about their sexuality helps a movement immensely.

xoxo.

V

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Who's Online
312 registered (Soapy, TheDriver, CelesteTaylor, Mistress Tissa, international, The Thomas, marstoy, Stern Miss Lea, painslut, HenryB, gfred1, palmer, broom, Chi61, mbilbo, HellionCobRoller, Curiouser, buffalo, Old_Timer_FL, shlem, Cheyenne, langerr, nysubjack, badboy, DommeLynx, DominaAdmin, Chuck123, artiemus1, 2Balls1Cock, T-bone, zeta, Domina M, tosser, cbtlover, Dominions, Ms_Gia_Peccato, Gil, EvedLeNashim, Violetwand, WestAugust, denali, schrads, Bruce88, MsRoseWoods, furfan, Poester, Mistress UV, Moth to a Flame, EllaStrictland, Lady Paradise, midlet, ElenaDeLuca, Browniepoints95, Bruxelles, Boucheron, Lady Bellatrix, Slv4u, Lady Velvet Steel, SeekingAdventure, domtsub, Robert1218, sheba322000, Swinburne, ztrade, LAN, Awillingstudent, Domina_Felicity_Hart, Jeffmill999, Protons1, SlaveGunner, Felix, ingridguerci94, bane, ChicagoSlicker, cbot, GulfCoastal, strangefruit, Jogo, Mistress Aurianna, Alexandra Snow, Gaped_Crab, KinkyBoston, Natasha Strange, slvmaximus, bondagelover, llf, sfotk1, servedeaj, need to serve, Chamberpot, Stephen M, jadreg13, Lpbri, Eastbabyhuey, Mistress Ayn, mass, Kallcarrty, jeanmarc, MayaMidnight, mikel, kefxb24, porkster, Bound ashtray Man, Ma$oboy, Madam Jess, MsKittyLaReaux, GrimmX, SubbyAnt, KYboy, chuck, Mistress Berlin NYC, zetaomicron, Ganon110, felicia, sellinggr, Komodo, mike04071, Normaldude, jlars555, isuffr4her, Mistress Kiva Krimson, Mistress Troy, Scs202323, Oliver Cromwell, coockiemonsterworshp, Framed, Jean A, Smiley, Nirolog, mtsub69, Stretch, Miss Grey, DominaM, kinkybootbeast, Ragman, achance, selfold52, Mistress Snow, Domina Lady Grace, Chogal, Mistress Emanuelle, Jupiter Lake, GoddessAvecti, all2easy, Mistress Ruby Riots, frank, Jaco, Liquid6, bdsmlover, xen2002, pinkcaboose, 1491John, maxadmin, socalkev, iluvfetish, slave47, loup1, DarkMuse, MissMary, Victoria_Cayne, Sid, Spark, Mick681, J Michelle, MF_Drummer, tabula, twerkfordommes, fire, Julia Steele, milagros317, MistressMaraM, TadShy, DivineRulerOroroSnow, ScoobyBelfast, PASubMale, Dr. Pleasure, tophumiliatrix, Aztoilet, Harryst1098, Trample24, owned, Slave321, SCmainer, dambiber, dsorbet, teliot, coderanger, Subaddict, Thedylangong, fogo, pod, Njjerry, DeanChase, Fahrenheit451, whacked1, Paul Thompson, ejohnslpss, Charlesw98, Lerker, TedBCruisin, subchuck, loserflower, sailor, MistressNight, gimp, Miss Nyxon, Serafina Imperia, Zag, jakzopan, VinylQueen, Fetishpatient, tylerr, Sublime2199, shitfaceloser, Lazarus91, zrfwd, KookieKrumble, Subnick, TIERRA DOLL, Nina, chucksub1, slave boy jaime, Dudex, GoddessCapri, Ms Regan Black, Scott, shanghaimistress, Domme, worm, JensTFace, TheHand, Bert65, Promoesport, Betty Cocker, Bill Coda, AtlantaDungeon, ratamac, whatstime, ironboy, Phill, truesubtipp, madman1_rug, Pam I, Let’s go downtown, Sissybuttslave, mark5Bnyc, ohixe, Dominatrix Rin, Blt2Rob, jh3623964, Easygoesit, Jimmysam, Lynda, DeadEyeDick, Promethius, pnc71009, Tdi, Spear Head, MistressIsadora, BBsub, Luckyme_xyz, Xpirmentwme69, Frankfrank, sdskelly, bbwlover4ever, uno, harderplease, grex73, DanLee118787, Arnth, blackhammer32, CaptainFantasy, PNWSub, junglebeast, acquiesced, fetishfan4, sub_ted, Krisjones, Gs8483, ollikeem, chase, tgy, RobSub, AaronGrant, hofn, joe, DiaperSissyBaby, Siger, ear, undercurrent, Marlin2000, quietman, CheekClapper, Toiletmouth4u, Sam240, buckeyerob1212, Swordfish, greta garters, buckeyerob, actionjackson647, Darkknight265, bubi, Ramukc, Bokslav, spike4848, Erock9090, Sorceressmorgana, SamBorn, guillermopelotas, Bladezeus, angel666, AspX), 32891 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Goddess Gia Peccato