Domina Sohpie Agenoux of Los Angels (SF and Paris too). INCREDIBLE
by EvedLeNashim
04/09/24 05:52 PM
In Chastity For Mistress Victoria Cayne
by nysubjack
03/27/24 09:31 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8512 - 11/30/19 12:35 AM BDSM as therapy... BS or real?
AspX Online   content
Sage

Loc: Detroit
Several Dominants with psychology degrees or backgrounds have started to frame sessions in a therapeutic context. Below is an article from The UK about this practice:
BDSM as therapy

As a Dominant, I have actually encountered emotional releases from a sub during corporal (I have to admit it was incredibly disconcerting to have her crying and shaking like that while I was spanking her... As well as difficult to ignore and continue even though I instinctually knew a good thing was happening). Because of that, I know that BDSM play can tap into things that words and discussion can't... Even when that isn't what a Dominant is going for.

However, as a sub, I have always felt BDSM was sexual rather than therapeutic and when I start hearing a Domme talk about healing crystals and Shakras in conjunction with this "therapy", I admit to internal "eye-rolling” at the discussion. So, my question to the board is whether this idea of including elements of BDSM into therapy is a valuable use or just Dominants trying to feel more legitimate than they do if it is classified as just "sex work"?

#8516 - 11/30/19 05:31 AM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: AspX]
MsRoseWoods Online   content

Enthusiast

Originally Posted By AspX
Several Dominants with psychology degrees or backgrounds have started to frame sessions in a therapeutic context. Below is an article from The UK about this practice:
BDSM as therapy

As a Dominant, I have actually encountered emotional releases from a sub during corporal (I have to admit it was incredibly disconcerting to have her crying and shaking like that while I was spanking her... As well as difficult to ignore and continue even though I instinctually knew a good thing was happening). Because of that, I know that BDSM play can tap into things that words and discussion can't... Even when that isn't what a Dominant is going for.

However, as a sub, I have always felt BDSM was sexual rather than therapeutic and when I start hearing a Domme talk about healing crystals and Shakras in conjunction with this "therapy", I admit to internal "eye-rolling” at the discussion. So, my question to the board is whether this idea of including elements of BDSM into therapy is a valuable use or just Dominants trying to feel more legitimate than they do if it is classified as just "sex work"?

Great question. I find most of the "therapy" angle to be more "New Age" rubbish. That said, I train subs to serve me, and be better men. I use a variety of methods to accomplish my ends. Among other methods, I use ego reduction through sph, general worthlessness, body shaming, and forced consumption.

Perhaps I'm a therapist, if so, I need to raise my rates grin

#8522 - 11/30/19 10:03 AM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: AspX]
birchboy Offline

Loc: Midwest, us
IMHO: A professional dominatrix is versatile enough to carry a number of titles. Therapist, entertainer, player of roles, coach.

I personally prefer the description of guide. Like a guide who shows you the best fishing and camping spots at the resort.

I consider my sessions therapy, of a sort.

I do not call them sex workers, because sex is how mammals reproduce, but that's just me being unnecessarily precise again.

#8526 - 11/30/19 12:46 PM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: birchboy]
junglebeast Online   content
Addict

I'm... not sure if it is real. But the whole experience of BDSM is cathartic.

I have gotten friendly with Mistresses over the years and, as I posted on another thread, the waves of emotion they receive from subs made two or three of them take a step back and take a break from the scene for awhile. That's understandable. I've backed away several times do to the emotional overload, and I guess to process my experiences.

In my case, someone who sessioned for decades, I learned so much about myself and my sexuality. I got into this as a horny, straight college kid decades ago. Even though that horny college kid is still lurking inside of this almost elderly guy now, I learned so much about my own sexuality in a healthy way. I learned to understand and empathize with those whose sexuality or sexual tastes are not mine. (Of course I cannot understand those whose mental illness drives them to sexual crimes against the unprotected.)

Dominas deal with a lot. Less than a handful of times I cried in session, not due to physical pain but revealing emotional stress. The most memorable was with a Mistress, a big name that was on tour, if she would peg me. I was a virgin. She seemed a bit reluctant in our communication prior to the session, but said yes. That day I was a bit depressed, but kept the appointment. I'm a big guy, 6' 1" around 230 lbs. at the time, but she towered over me and is also an athlete.

As the session started I apologized and said I couldn't do it. Tears came to my eyes and I explained I was depressed. She practically carried me to the bed in her hotel suite, put her arm around me, and urged me to talk about it, all the while listening, comforting me and almost rocking me like I was a kid. Towards the end of the session she playfully ordered me to worship her gorgeous feet and long, long legs. She dried my tears, and as I left she gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Therapists don't do that - or they shouldn't - but the result was that I left feeling relieved, wonderful... and lucky I could confide in such a person.

#8527 - 11/30/19 01:49 PM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: AspX]
The Thomas Online   content
Addict

In recent years quite a few Dommes have gotten into lifecoaching. A decade ago "behavior modification" which is very similar was in vogue. That is not why I session but I can see why those might be beneficial for some clients.

In an old thread I noted that transference is a common phenomenon in BDSM sessions. It is why a Domme you first thought was only average looking can become more and more attractive. This also happens frequently in psychoanalysis and is sometimes used by an unethical analyst to seduce an attractive patient. So there is some overlap. I have found it a good practice to be aware that transference is happening and recognize it for what it is. That makes it easier to maintain boundaries. However I have a certain skepticism about psychoanalysis in general (contrary the Cult of Freud its success rate is pretty bad) so I have my doubts that it works better tied to a cross than lying on a couch.

As for crying I did got through 2 phases where I very much wanted to be made to cry. This is a common fantasy with masos. Contrary to a lot of erotica it turns out that it is very hard to pull off with only physical pain. In another old thread I related how I learned this the hard way about 15 years ago. After that I told myself that it wasn't go to happen and moved on.

#8528 - 11/30/19 02:30 PM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: AspX]
birchboy Offline

This was meant for junglebootbeast...

But the whole experience of BDSM is cathartic.

[font:Comic Sans MS][/font]

I'm glad you brought that up. I too was just exploring some horny fantasies when I started. Almost by accident, I was taken beyond that over time.

Now I actually discuss this catharsis before play to see if she is alright with it. My experience is that one must explain this thoroughly before she is comfortable with it.

And to convince myself that I want to go through with it. I can have mixed feelings.

Edited by birchboy (11/30/19 02:31 PM)

#8529 - 11/30/19 02:37 PM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: The Thomas]
birchboy Offline

Transference.

If I grow in respect and admiration towards a woman she becomes more desirable. This is true for me.

#8530 - 11/30/19 05:00 PM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: AspX]
ztrade Online   content
Enthusiast

I surely depends dramatically on both the domme and on the sub. Even in a book of what seems to be commercial almost sex work such as written by one domme several years ago, there was at least one situation she describes in which the guy seeing her and another domme in the dungeon described or mentioned a situation that was frightening to him and they created some part or aspects of that, and he was better off psychologically afterwards.

Moreover, there are a variety of psychological studies which have been done by the generally recognized psychologists or recognized professionals or professors of psychology and/or psychiatry, and in what seems to be every case in which the mental health of those who practice anything from mere spanking to more severe activities is compared with the general population, those who practice or receive bdsm seems to be *superior* in at least some aspects.

Of course, part of the problem, if there is a problem, could lie in what is considered superior to the general population. The psychologists may claim that those who practice or receive bdsm are psychologically healthier than the general population but some Christians might immediately object that whatever measure is indicating better mental is actually not an appropriate measure of better mental.

However, consider this. Before the coming of the white man to the Americas, there were Indian tribes which practiced a variety of coming of age rituals, including sweat lodge experiences and also such things as being bound and being bitten by red or bullet ants.

Today you and I can go to youtube and see videos of some of the ceremonies of Indian tribes in which either tribesmen or white invities have their hands placed in gloves with dozens of angry bullet ants about to bite.

The ants bite and each bite is considered to be about as painful as gunshot. And there are multiple or dozens of bites to the hand or wrist. The hand or forearm then swells and there is great pain for up to the next 24 hours.

Now, I think that no one would claim that the men of the tribe who experience being bitten by the bullet ants are doing it either for sexual reasons or to be submissive to a domme or interested sexually in a domme.

If you study the history and folklore of spanking and caning and whipping, there are multiple ideas in folklore and in the last 2000 years which indicate that some painful experiences are considered by some cultures to be therapeutic and good for the person receiving or experiencing them.

The Romans, the Europeans, the East Indians and visitors to Taoist temples once a year or so experienced a variety of whipping or caning or spanking in a variety of contexts and rituals.

#8533 - 12/01/19 12:36 AM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: The Thomas]
Kneel4Her Offline
Regular

Loc: GA
Originally Posted By The Thomas

As for crying I did got through 2 phases where I very much wanted to be made to cry. This is a common fantasy with masos.

I've recently had that thought and was a bit confused by it. Interesting that it is a common fantasy... I wonder why that is.

Originally Posted By junglebeast
But the whole experience of BDSM is cathartic.

That's an excellent description, and in that sense I guess it can be a therapeutic experience, even if it's not what was intended. Although I agree with Asp, I view BDSM as sexual. But hey, maybe if it becomes recognized as therapy it'll be covered by your HMO. wink

Edited by Kneel4Her (12/01/19 12:54 AM)

#8541 - 12/01/19 03:24 PM Re: BDSM as therapy... BS or real? [Re: AspX]
MayaMidnight Online   content

Artisan

Some of it is BS, for sure. Maybe most of it. But not all of it.

I am not particularly interested in being anyone's therapist or life coach and I do not conduct my sessions with an eye towards "healing." I like doing kinky things and that is what I'm here for. And yet I've had numerous clients tell me at length about how much I have helped them. I had one longterm slave who directly credited me for their coming to terms with and being open about their gender identity and sexual orientation. Others have told me that their urge to please me has lead to serious life improvements -- creativity, increased drive at work, exercise, treating the people in their lives better.

So I do think it can be therapeutic, but it isn't always and it doesn't have to be, and it doesn't make it not sex work if it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Who's Online
291 registered (furfan, Soapy, Cheyenne, Lady Velvet Steel, Domina M, nysubjack, The Thomas, jadreg13, international, ztrade, palmer, CelesteTaylor, DominaAdmin, broom, cbot, langerr, marstoy, EvedLeNashim, WestAugust, Protons1, Chi61, ChicagoSlicker, buffalo, Mistress Ayn, mass, Kallcarrty, tosser, Dominions, Chuck123, TheDriver, cbtlover, denali, midlet, Ms_Gia_Peccato, jeanmarc, Browniepoints95, MayaMidnight, Mistress UV, Lady Bellatrix, Jeffmill999, mikel, kefxb24, Natasha Strange, porkster, Bruce88, Bound ashtray Man, Ma$oboy, Boucheron, sheba322000, artiemus1, MsRoseWoods, llf, Madam Jess, MsKittyLaReaux, Slv4u, DommeLynx, Mistress Tissa, GrimmX, Eastbabyhuey, bondagelover, SubbyAnt, mbilbo, KYboy, chuck, Mistress Berlin NYC, Violetwand, SlaveGunner, zetaomicron, Moth to a Flame, LAN, sfotk1, schrads, Ganon110, felicia, sellinggr, Komodo, mike04071, domtsub, gfred1, Stephen M, Normaldude, jlars555, isuffr4her, Awillingstudent, Mistress Kiva Krimson, Mistress Troy, bane, strangefruit, Scs202323, Oliver Cromwell, T-bone, coockiemonsterworshp, Chamberpot, Framed, Jean A, Smiley, Nirolog, mtsub69, Stretch, Lady Paradise, Curiouser, ElenaDeLuca, Miss Grey, shlem, DominaM, kinkybootbeast, Ragman, achance, selfold52, Mistress Snow, Domina Lady Grace, Chogal, Mistress Emanuelle, Jupiter Lake, GoddessAvecti, ingridguerci94, all2easy, Mistress Ruby Riots, slvmaximus, frank, Jaco, Liquid6, bdsmlover, xen2002, pinkcaboose, 1491John, maxadmin, socalkev, iluvfetish, slave47, loup1, DarkMuse, MissMary, Victoria_Cayne, Sid, Spark, Mick681, J Michelle, MF_Drummer, tabula, twerkfordommes, fire, Julia Steele, milagros317, MistressMaraM, Poester, TadShy, DivineRulerOroroSnow, ScoobyBelfast, PASubMale, Dr. Pleasure, tophumiliatrix, need to serve, Aztoilet, Harryst1098, Trample24, owned, Slave321, SCmainer, dambiber, dsorbet, teliot, coderanger, Subaddict, Thedylangong, fogo, pod, Njjerry, HellionCobRoller, DeanChase, Fahrenheit451, whacked1, Paul Thompson, ejohnslpss, Charlesw98, Lerker, TedBCruisin, subchuck, loserflower, sailor, MistressNight, gimp, Miss Nyxon, Serafina Imperia, Zag, jakzopan, VinylQueen, Fetishpatient, tylerr, Sublime2199, shitfaceloser, Lazarus91, zrfwd, KookieKrumble, Subnick, TIERRA DOLL, Nina, chucksub1, slave boy jaime, Dudex, GoddessCapri, Ms Regan Black, Scott, shanghaimistress, Domme, worm, JensTFace, TheHand, Bert65, Promoesport, Betty Cocker, Bill Coda, AtlantaDungeon, ratamac, whatstime, ironboy, Phill, truesubtipp, Felix, madman1_rug, Pam I, Let’s go downtown, Sissybuttslave, mark5Bnyc, ohixe, Dominatrix Rin, Blt2Rob, jh3623964, Easygoesit, Jimmysam, Lynda, DeadEyeDick, Promethius, pnc71009, Tdi, Spear Head, MistressIsadora, BBsub, Luckyme_xyz, Xpirmentwme69, Frankfrank, sdskelly, bbwlover4ever, uno, harderplease, grex73, DanLee118787, Arnth, blackhammer32, CaptainFantasy, PNWSub, junglebeast, acquiesced, fetishfan4, sub_ted, Krisjones, Gs8483, ollikeem, chase, tgy, RobSub, AaronGrant, hofn, joe, DiaperSissyBaby, Mistress Aurianna, Siger, ear, undercurrent, Marlin2000, quietman, CheekClapper, Toiletmouth4u, Sam240, buckeyerob1212, Swordfish, greta garters, buckeyerob, actionjackson647, Darkknight265, bubi, Ramukc, Bokslav, spike4848, Erock9090, Sorceressmorgana, SamBorn, guillermopelotas, Bladezeus, angel666, AspX), 31243 Guests and 99 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Mistress Lynn