Lady Bellatrix
New Lobby Posts
Dungeon Rentals in Greater Los Angeles or Orange County CA?
by Jupiter Lake
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
New To The Forum
by Mistress UV
Yesterday at 07:02 PM
Ballbusting -- how do they do it?
by Mistress UV
Yesterday at 04:38 PM
Best Domme Advertising Platform?
by Mistress UV
Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Facilities
by Mistress Tissa
Yesterday at 01:44 AM
AtlantaDominatrix.co
m

by Victoria_Cayne
03/26/24 04:41 PM
The Agony and the Ecstasy
by furfan
03/25/24 06:23 AM
New York state of mind
by Curiouser
03/23/24 03:53 PM
Dommes Only Forum?
by DominaAdmin
03/20/24 08:18 PM
Political Forum Vote
by Soapy
03/20/24 07:04 AM
New Reviews
In Chastity For Mistress Victoria Cayne
by nysubjack
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Not Quite Reviews but...A List Amazing Mistresses I've Served over the Yrs
by Mistress Tissa
Yesterday at 01:47 AM
Mistresses Ultra Violet & Carissa Montgomery
by Mistress UV
03/25/24 06:07 PM
NYC Smoke Ash Spit
by dsorbet
03/09/24 04:07 AM
Looking for reviews in NYC
by llf
02/28/24 09:36 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8339 - 11/20/19 03:53 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: alex]
AspX Online   content
Sage

Loc: Detroit
IMAO, pre-FOSTA panic and it beoming the "thing to do" to protect yourself from thibgs like mass data gathering was the reason.

I think the reality of FOSTA has set in and most of the negative impacts actually are based on how people and companies acted in the pre-FOSTA panic days than anyone actually being prosecuted or sued under the law.

Asp

(IMAO - In my arrogant opinion)

#8340 - 11/20/19 03:53 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: DommeLynx]
OwwItHz Offline
Regular

Loc: DC Metro
I use ProtonMail for my (ahem!) "dirty work," but that's a very small volume of e-mail. Sometimes I go two months or more without sending or receiving a message at that address. If I had the volume of mail in ProtonMail that I get on my "real person" account, I'd have a hard time keeping up with all the deletions, junk and spam.

My solution of "don't receive or send a lot of e-mail" works for me, but I can see where it wouldn't work as a business account. I don't know if the paid version gives you the flexibility of multiple folders and self-sorting. I was disappointed that it (the free version) didn't have that feature, but like I say, I don't have enough traffic to warrant the conveniences of my regular mail client.

By the way, I use Thunderbird for my regular e-mail and it works great when it works, but it crashes every few days. As far as I know it hasn't lost any of my mail, but I can't be sure.

#8341 - 11/20/19 04:21 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: AspX]
Kneel4Her Offline
Regular

Loc: GA
Originally Posted By AspX

(IMAO - In my arrogant opinion)

And here I thought that meant In my amateur opinion. wink grin

#8342 - 11/20/19 04:30 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: AspX]
alex Offline
Artisan

Loc: NYC
I think it was a SESTA/FOSTA reaction.

And the crypto algorithms really are good -- they can't break them. But when you send a message, there are so many links in the chain, and many of the other links are weak. There's your computer or your phone, the operating system, your internet provider, the backbone carriers who route the traffic through the internet, etc.

I mean, as dumb as it sounds, if someone with protonmail is corresponding with a gmail person, they can just serve google with a subpoena for the other person's account.

Google is very secure, although they will comply with the law and honor warrants.

But in the real world a derranged sub or ex is probably more of a threat to a domme than the government, and a gmail account protected by a yubikey is almost certainly more secure than a protonmail account.

I think about Reality Winner a lot. In the time after Snowden made his leaks and was lionized, lots of reporters were setting up secure drops, telling people to use GPG, etc. They told people that if they used those tools they'd be safe. Reality Winner trusted those promises, and she went to jail.

If there's something that's going to put you in jail, or end your marriage, don't do it. If you really feel you must do it, be fucking careful, and don't put blind trust in comptuer security.

We see banks, big companies, governments, political campaigns, getting hacked all the time. Security is hard, and almost no one is very good at it. I'm certainly not.

#8345 - 11/20/19 07:37 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: alex]
AspX Online   content
Sage

My understanding (which could be totally wrong) is that if you set the email to be encrypted then it doesn't actually get stored in gmail in a way that gmail can read it either so warrant to them doesn't hurt.

#8346 - 11/20/19 07:38 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: Kneel4Her]
AspX Online   content
Sage

It usually is... But, it was me and I am a professional baby!!!

#8347 - 11/20/19 09:46 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: AspX]
Miss Adah Vonn Offline

Artisan

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Originally Posted By AspX
Originally Posted By Miss Adah Vonn
The search function is really lacking, if it's not in the subject line of the email or name is not exactly right then forget it.

That is actually part of the security design of Protonmail... To be able to index and search they would have to have the ability to decrypt and read the actual content rather than just the header (which has the subject in it).

Probably more than you care about, but just wanted to get across that it is not something they will be able to correct without basically destroying the construct.

Oh! That actually makes a lot of sense. Good to know.

And yes, FOSTA/SESTA really did a number on everyone. The fact that they offer a combo with VPN may have been part of the appeal as well.

Website »» AdahVonn.com
Twitter »» @TopDomme
OnlyFans »» @TopDomme

#8348 - 11/20/19 10:44 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: alex]
Poester Online   content
Enthusiast

Or a ProtonMail Account with two-factor (YubiKey or other).

#8349 - 11/20/19 10:47 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: AspX]
Poester Online   content
Enthusiast

Yes, the encryption uses the password/passphrase, and even if and especially if you reset it you will still not be able to access the data.

However I suspect they insert intentional flaws/back doors, much like has been long suspected for Microsoft's Drive Encryption in order to protect themselves in a worst case scenario.

po

#8350 - 11/20/19 10:50 PM Re: How do you all deal with the garbage that is ProtonMail? [Re: OwwItHz]
Poester Online   content
Enthusiast

Old School, fat mail client grin ? I typically prefer cloud now and only use the thick client for work (office 365) Thunderbird to do data migration when I'm moving emails around.

po

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Who's Online
252 registered (international, langerr, porkster, Chuck123, Soapy, denali, Chi61, DominaAdmin, Mistress Tissa, TheDriver, Lady Bellatrix, Mistress Troy, ChicagoSlicker, Mistress UV, nysubjack, ztrade, The Thomas, Jupiter Lake, buffalo, mikel, furfan, Cheyenne, Boucheron, DarkMuse, Ms_Gia_Peccato, MissMary, MayaMidnight, marstoy, Browniepoints95, Mistress Berlin NYC, WestAugust, Victoria_Cayne, Nirolog, Sid, Spark, Madam Jess, domtsub, Mick681, Bruce88, Awillingstudent, Chamberpot, J Michelle, MF_Drummer, tabula, sellinggr, T-bone, Bound ashtray Man, cbtlover, twerkfordommes, tosser, artiemus1, Ragman, midlet, fire, pinkcaboose, palmer, jeanmarc, chuck, gfred1, strangefruit, mtsub69, Eastbabyhuey, EvedLeNashim, socalkev, Slv4u, broom, slave47, Curiouser, Mistress Kiva Krimson, Julia Steele, Moth to a Flame, milagros317, MistressMaraM, Poester, TadShy, LAN, DivineRulerOroroSnow, Mistress Ayn, ScoobyBelfast, PASubMale, Dr. Pleasure, tophumiliatrix, Scs202323, ElenaDeLuca, Chogal, need to serve, DommeLynx, Domina M, mass, Lady Velvet Steel, Stephen M, Komodo, Smiley, Aztoilet, kefxb24, kinkybootbeast, Harryst1098, Oliver Cromwell, Trample24, owned, Slave321, SCmainer, sfotk1, dambiber, bdsmlover, dsorbet, teliot, coderanger, Subaddict, Thedylangong, schrads, llf, fogo, ingridguerci94, Lady Paradise, pod, Njjerry, HellionCobRoller, DeanChase, SlaveGunner, MsRoseWoods, Fahrenheit451, whacked1, Paul Thompson, slvmaximus, frank, mbilbo, ejohnslpss, Charlesw98, Violetwand, Lerker, TedBCruisin, subchuck, MsKittyLaReaux, loserflower, sailor, MistressNight, gimp, Miss Nyxon, Serafina Imperia, Zag, jakzopan, VinylQueen, Fetishpatient, tylerr, Sublime2199, shitfaceloser, Lazarus91, zrfwd, KookieKrumble, Subnick, bane, jlars555, TIERRA DOLL, Nina, Ma$oboy, chucksub1, slave boy jaime, Dudex, GoddessCapri, Ms Regan Black, Scott, shanghaimistress, Domme, worm, JensTFace, TheHand, Bert65, Promoesport, Betty Cocker, Bill Coda, AtlantaDungeon, ratamac, DominaM, whatstime, ironboy, Phill, truesubtipp, Felix, madman1_rug, Pam I, Let’s go downtown, Sissybuttslave, mark5Bnyc, ohixe, Dominatrix Rin, Blt2Rob, jh3623964, Easygoesit, Jimmysam, Lynda, DeadEyeDick, Promethius, pnc71009, Tdi, Spear Head, MistressIsadora, BBsub, Luckyme_xyz, Xpirmentwme69, Frankfrank, sdskelly, bbwlover4ever, uno, harderplease, grex73, DanLee118787, Arnth, blackhammer32, CaptainFantasy, PNWSub, junglebeast, Dominions, acquiesced, fetishfan4, sub_ted, Krisjones, Gs8483, ollikeem, chase, tgy, RobSub, AaronGrant, hofn, joe, DiaperSissyBaby, Mistress Aurianna, Siger, ear, undercurrent, Marlin2000, quietman, CheekClapper, Toiletmouth4u, Sam240, buckeyerob1212, Swordfish, greta garters, buckeyerob, actionjackson647, Darkknight265, bubi, Ramukc, Bokslav, spike4848, Erock9090, Sorceressmorgana, SamBorn, guillermopelotas, Bladezeus, angel666, AspX), 27022 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Fetbot