Ancestors - Ancestry

Posted by: Chuck123

Ancestors - Ancestry - 12/14/20 12:35 PM

My 65th Great Grandfather was

Joseph Ben Matthat van Arimathea.
Born 28 BCE Arimathea, Judea, Israel
Died 82 AD Abbey Glais, Glastonbury Wales.

Joseph was Mary's (younger) twin brother.

Apparently they were thrown out of Judea in a boat with no oars or sails. The boat came ashore is what is now Marseilles, France and they settled in pre-Roman Briton.

There are various opinions concerning his birth and ages stated by the arithmetically challenged. 28 BCE plus 82 CE/AD would make him 100 more or less when he died.

I am not making this up. I am just following the bread crumbs left by others.

Google it and see what you find.

I have 4960 persons in my family tree so far.

Most of the information comes from sources that allow certification/documentation.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 12/15/20 08:00 AM

I sent my Ancestry DNA kit off yesterday

In genealogy going up the tree is going back in time.
A person can definitively say "He is my father!" The reverse is not true.
With 23 children in the family which one is my relative is a problem.

What is somewhat consistent is my ancestors that succeeded Joseph. That is preceded Joseph in Ancestry where from Wales.
I found it strange at the time.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 12/16/20 07:11 AM

If you believe that the Bible is at least partially historically accurate that someone would have to be related to folks described in first century AD / CE. It is certain that I am not alone.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 12/23/20 08:15 AM

I do not believe it.

Someone has entered GOD as a potential family member.

I do not believe that GOD is my 115th Great Grandfather.

Yes I am questioning the historical accuracy of the BIBLE.

Either both are true or both are false.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 01/09/21 08:21 AM

I have two sources of information.
1. Ancestry and 2. Geni.com

I try to audit what I am being told and the potential relative that led to Adam and Eve turned out to be suspect, so I repaired the relationship and deleted a bunch of suspect relatives.

Do you believe written stories based on a long period of oral history? The Gospels were written upwards of a century after the fact. Do we believe what is written or do we believe what is written because of editing/translations feeding self interest.

There is a long oral story involving Tin Mining in Cornwall UK.

Apparently my 63rd Great Grandfather was a rich Tin Merchant.

Joseph ben Matthat van Arimathea
3 Feb 20 BCE Arimathea, Judea, Israel 
27 Jun 82 AD/CE Abbey Glais Glastonbury Wales.

He is reported to be the uncle of Mary.
He adopted Jesus because he male parent was not readily identified.

The story is that during the 30 years in which the Bible provides no details that Joseph took Jesus with him to Cornwall.

Do we reject all "history" that is sourced from oral tradition?

I am just following the bread crumbs.

If you Goggle "Tin Mines of Cornwall and Devon", there will be a section on the legend of Saint Joseph of Arimathea.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 01/11/21 08:56 AM

The relationship between Joseph of Arimathea and Mary is not precisely stated.
Another theory is that Joseph is Marys uncle, great uncle to Jesus and apparently his adopted father.
For the folks that understand the story the father of Jesus is not listed in any official state document.

The situation is that the first century AD account of Jesus was written after the fact, and translated by folks who had a vested interest the statements.

The tin mines in Cornwall open in 2150 BC.
There are ruins of an Abbey built by Joseph.
The fact that Joseph was in Wales/Cornwall - Devon is documented in great detail than the Jesus story itself.
It is also thought during the 30 years not mentioned in the Bible Jesus traveled with Joseph to Cornwall.

It the Cornwall thing a fabrication?

Perhaps! However there is more recent repetition of the details than for the events in the middle east.

For me I was just wondering around Wales/Cornwall-Devon looking for relatives when...

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 03/28/21 11:15 AM

We just upgraded to World wide access.
I had a lot Ancestry hints I could not resolve
So the idea was that we would be able to get answers.

To be precise I have got more questions than answers.
That is more people and more hints.

I was surprised when I got ancestor to Joseph of A.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 03/31/21 07:28 AM

Sometime ago I found a 13th GGF who was also a GGF to Winston Churchill (A Spencer) and Lady Diana Spencer.

This week I found a 24th mutual GGF to Winston and Diana.
This GGF was related to (GGF) Joseph of Arimathea my 63rd GGF and 21 High Priests and one High Priestess of Jerusalem.
My more or less 90th GGF/GGM. Definitely old testament stuff.

True? I am just picking up one bread crumb at a time.
I got worldwide access to answer questions.
I| got more questions than answers.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 05/10/21 09:04 AM

I have found a couple of my great grandmothers who died in a Poor/Work House.
I have found a few relatives who have lost their head in the Tower of London.
I have a GGF who was drawn and quartered by his colleagues while on the Crusades.
We have a few Jewish relatives who traveled to British Colonies from Serbia.

What I cannot tolerate is the number of intolerant, irreverent, Great Grandfathers who emigrated to the British American Colonies (now Massachusetts) in about 1640 who carried the title Reverend.

C123

Re: Ancestors - Ancestry - 06/26/21 11:32 AM

For Ancestry users there are two (perhaps more) sets of information/data on relatives.

Copies of the original data and Ancestry user transcription of the original Data.

Typos likely occur in transcription.

- Things get cocked up when
- Users Speculate.

For example if your great grandfather is named John Smith then you great grandmother must named Mrs Smith or Mrs John Smith. The problem is only maiden names have any meaning.

In addition some users do not seem to understand the data conventions used by ancestry. About (Circa) 1900 has meaning!

For most (British) users they can get back to the 15th Century. Other countries may provide data on earlier relatives.
juriscitions that are now France were very good at keeping record. As well as Parts of the HRE (Holy Roman Empire).

If your relatives are noble or related to persons who are earlier data is likely available.

The Ancestry Leaf.

You can resolve the Leaf/Hint if have access to the data.
We started with access to local data. In essence, we had limited resolution. I/we now have world wild access.

With world wide access the Leaf/Hint leads to answers, however, they provide more questions and answers.

One leaf could lead to 10 - 20 more hints.
Resolution of one my 13,000 hints could take 2 - 5 hours when you try to resolve all hints.

That is you want 13,000 hints to end up at 12,999 not 13,127 hints. I suppose it is the alligator-swamp thing.

I have about 9,000 relatives, however, after a few generations I restrict my relatives to [great] grandparents.

I do have a few uncles For Example my great x Uncle Richard I brother of King John I.

With the birth rate extremely high My actually relatives could
be 50,000 if included everyone.

My actual number of relatives is reduced since Charlemagne is a great great grandfather 8 times.

Early relatives of my paternal grandmother married early relatives of her husband, my paternal grandfather.

I do have two instances where I have real relatives as offspring of fictitious persons. When there is substantial evidence that the fictitious person actually existed.

If we can successfully resolve the issue, I would be able to say I have found my 120th great grandparents. That is a big IF.

It appears that I am related to the 4th and 7th president of the US as well as Lady Diana Spencer.

I do try to verify Ancestry data with data from other sources.

When great grandparents are siblings, Ancestry gets very confused. I have tried to get Ancestry to understand, however, they use the "My mind is made up, Don't confuse me with the facts!" method.

If John Clayton II, Viscount Greystoke were a real person he would be relative.

TM