How many feel healthier in the COVID-19 era?

Posted by: junglebeast

How many feel healthier in the COVID-19 era? - 05/21/20 09:39 AM

And by that I mean, possibly exercising at home more; maybe a different diet (less fast food, etc.); taking on projects that you've always wanted to do; working from home and less commuting, etc., etc.

Of course the stress of job loss, salary cuts, worrying about family and friends, the procedures of going out for supplies with masks, etc. and disinfecting everything is there. This situation has the potential for many of us to change habits, and society to change habits too.
Posted by: future pet

Comme ci, Comme ça - 05/21/20 11:54 AM

I'm running a little more. 4 mile runs are now 6 miles with more hills intentionally added. Driving-wise all I do is move the car for alternate side. Otherwise I'm on foot, bike or kick scooter. Lost about 8 to 10 lbs since quarantine started (for me) on March 16th. Not eating much and all.

I've read quite a bit. Stuff I never got around to. Mostly done with Remembrance of Things Past. It's a miracle of observation and a meditation on the way memory works. Don't think I would have tackled it under any other circumstances though.

Most of that stuff is superficial though.

There's an assisted living facility 2 blocks north of me. The seniors are crazy about my little doggo who is very sweet with anyone who enjoys sitting still. 1 mile south, there's the hospital.

March and April it seemed like there was always an ambulance screaming through the light on my corner on the way from point a to point b. In the absence of other activity of any kind in town, it was safe to assume it was for covid. 17 times the ambulance didn't make it back to the facility.

I won't ever forget 7pm. But I won't forget those ambulances racing through the empty streets either. My dog, who is afraid of fireworks and lightening but is otherwise a happy, quiet little soul, was mortified for weeks and seemed to sense something had gone horribly wrong and wouldn't leave my side.

I guess we're all a little fucked up now. Looking at everyone like they might have plague isn't good for the soul. But this is as close as most of us will ever come to witnessing a biblical event; and that's meant independent of anyone's notions of religion. The flood is receding. Or at least we hope it is. And we'll see what remains in its wake.

Re: Comme ci, Comme ça - 05/21/20 01:35 PM

Future pet, you are a wise soul.

You sound like you live in Manhattan. I’m a NYC native, over the age of getting this plague. And that’s what it is, a plague. I lived in FLA for a couple of years. In speaking with family and friends I still wish I lived in NYC. Yeah, maybe it is a death wish. They keep saying, “Oh no you don’t.” Events like this test all of us. I’ve been supposedly doing a lifelong project since March but have done little. Depressed about this and the world condition I guess. Gotta get back to life, even if it is in an extended dome.
Posted by: Soapy

Re: Comme ci, Comme ça - 05/21/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By future pet
I'm running a little more. 4 mile runs are now 6 miles with more hills intentionally added. Driving-wise all I do is move the car for alternate side. Otherwise I'm on foot, bike or kick scooter. Lost about 8 to 10 lbs since quarantine started (for me) on March 16th. Not eating much and all.

That is pretty good. Judging by my Facebook feed many people are eating a lot of takeout "to support the restaurants". A lot of people will be heavier when this is all over.

Quote:

I've read quite a bit. Stuff I never got around to. Mostly done with Remembrance of Things Past. It's a miracle of observation and a meditation on the way memory works. Don't think I would have tackled it under any other circumstances though.

Same. People were so hyped up with other things it took a major effort to settle down enough to read. I felt bad one day when my sister told me if she reads books at all they are "beach novels". She was a literature major in college.

Quote:

But this is as close as most of us will ever come to witnessing a biblical event; and that's meant independent of anyone's notions of religion. The flood is receding. Or at least we hope it is. And we'll see what remains in its wake.

I don't think we have even seen the head of the monster yet.

Politicians and other people have been irresponsible. I think there is going to be harsh second wave and the virus itself will be creeping around for a while.

Re: Comme ci, Comme ça - 05/21/20 09:26 PM

Quote:
That is pretty good. Judging by my Facebook feed many people are eating a lot of takeout "to support the restaurants". A lot of people will be heavier when this is all over.

It had more to do with losing myself in exertion as a distraction. And having no appetite. I've cried at the drop of a hat throughout this ordeal.
Quote:
People were so hyped up with other things it took a major effort to settle down enough to read. I felt bad one day when my sister told me if she reads books at all they are "beach novels". She was a literature major in college.

Proust is pretty escapist actually. And there's so little conflict. There's yearning and disappointments, but no real contest of wills or broken hearts.
Quote:
I don't think we have even seen the head of the monster yet.

Politicians and other people have been irresponsible. I think there is going to be harsh second wave and the virus itself will be creeping around for a while.

There could certainly be another wave in the fall. But nothing will ever feel like late March and early April. Death roaming the streets like that and not knowing what to do. It'll never feel like that again - even if it becomes numerically worse.

Re: Comme ci, Comme ça - 05/21/20 09:37 PM

It's gonna change now. It attracted a lot of people in the recent past with a kind of suburban outlook who wanted to live in a city anyway and make it over into the world they prefer. They'll be the first to go. NYC will get a little grittier. But I don't want to be anyplace else in the US.

Re: How many feel healthier in the COVID-19 era? - 05/22/20 11:36 AM

My knees miss the elliptical machine at the gym.

I'm taking long walks through the park every other day. I'm painfully resurrecting a strange exercise system from the 80s called HeavyHands. I get to do both outside which is great for my mood. I so rarely get outside this much during normal times.

I'm also eating better quality food.

Instead of going out to eat when I don't feel like doing food prep the night before I just put a pot on the stove while I am working.

My dust-mite allergy has gotten better working next to an open window instead of the dusty and sealed office I work in.

The open window bringing in natural lighting and sunlight is also gold.

I'm getting a lot more sleep too.

I have the kind of insomnia where I occasionally get up during the night and can't get back to sleep. I can now use my commute time to make up for some of that.

I have gratitude for still having my job, being able to telework, having an income, and having something to keep myself engaged. All safely.

Re: Comme ci, Comme ça - 05/22/20 11:38 AM

I've heard from more than few New Yorkers that Times Square now feels like an outdoor shopping mall.

I hope you get your grit and color back.
Posted by: AynsToy

Re: How many feel healthier in the COVID-19 era? - 05/23/20 08:09 PM

I've been working from home now for 10 or 11 weeks ... kinda' lost count. Without having the 30-40 minute commute from work to home in the afternoons as well as having to change into workout clothes, I've been able to get in a lot more exercise than I was pre-lockdown.

I use an Apple Watch to track my workouts. Looking back on my exercise history in the Activity app, I've managed to get in 20+ workouts in March, April and May ... best streak I've had since I got the watch 9 months ago.

I have to admit that that is the one and only aspect of all of this that I've enjoyed ... the fact that it has at least resulted in me focusing more on my fitness and overall health.

Re: How many feel healthier in the COVID-19 era? - 05/24/20 07:17 PM

Ha! About heavyhands! I have them and mentioned today I was going to begin using them on my walks, and workout more. I’m going to bed earlier now and very lucky. I’m retired and doing okay, physically healthy. My emotions and mind are a day to day thing - anger about political bullshit and how T made a bad situation horrible. I do the shopping, carefully, since I’m over a certain age and my spouse, older than me, is in good health but has immune problems. We cook overtime, trying tried & true recipes and new ones. I think we are better without takeout or going to restaurants, but we miss it. In bed now... used to read then sleep around 10 or 11. Strange days.

Re: How many feel healthier in the COVID-19 era? - 05/24/20 07:45 PM

I found a copy of the old book online

https://archive.org/details/heavyhandsultima00schw/page/42/mode/2up

When I was a teenager I used to do the marching in place exercise for 20 min while starring at a clock radio playing a radio station. Now it is 5 min, a clock app, and Pandora on my computer. The first week my hip muscles BURNED and I had to stop several times. Now I am getting through the 5 min with no burning. I think in another week or two I can begin increasing my time. I saw a PT last year who told me one of my imbalances were weak hip muscles. The resurrected HeavyHands seems to be fixing that. I feel much better. I think I might try to keep up the marching in place even when the gyms become safe again.

I feel the same way about the news that you do. If it wasn't for reading about how T, his minions, and the pandemic I would likely be happy. Otherwise it feels like the country is under siege.

People on the Internet forums are exaggerating when they say masks are only to protect others.

You can do a few things yourself to boost the effectiveness of homemade masks in keeping COVID19 out:

http://domina.ms/~domroot/thebuzz/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=10428#Post10428

http://domina.ms/~domroot/thebuzz/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=10450#Post10450

My once a week shopping trip is keeping me sane.

However, there are some incredible delivery options in my area. You should look into similar things in your area.

I'm still hoping to settle down enough to get back into deep reading.