Word for Dominatrix before 1971?

Posted by: LAN

Word for Dominatrix before 1971? - 11/26/23 03:44 AM

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, the term “Dominatrix” first came into use in 1971. What were Dominatrices called or referred to as, prior to 1971?
Posted by: Sid

Re: Word for Dominatrix before 1971? - 12/10/23 11:56 PM

Within the B&D world it was probably just Mistress. To the outside world, the word “mistress” has a totally different meaning. So a new word was really needed. I don’t think there was a word in the public domain to describe women who get paid to punish men in a erotic way.

Even DDI Magazine, which was the slickest of the B&D contact magazines in the 1990s, the cover on DDI Said, “DDI Domination Directory International” Subheading, “The ultimate guide to finding a Mistress.”

Posted by: Cheyenne

Re: Word for Dominatrix before 1971? - 12/11/23 03:44 AM

Interesting topic. It piqued my curiosity so I look around a little on line. Here is a Wikipedia link as to the origins of the term. The article also has other detailed information about prodom and lifestyle groups. I can't speak to how accurate it is. But, it seems reasonable. I was surprised to see racy photos on Wickedpedia. Interesting read.
Posted by: furfan

Re: Word for Dominatrix before 1971? - 12/11/23 07:04 AM

Good article. From what I see accurate and well balanced.
Posted by: junglebeast

Re: Word for Dominatrix before 1971? - 12/11/23 07:21 AM

Mistress, great find! Who knew Wikipedia would have it?

My first experiences almost date back that far, being introduced to this world via Screw magazine in NYC as a college kid and having my first sessions. I remember the word “dominatrix” from some ads and stories there, but not used in the name / title of a pro. And I haven’t heard the phrase “dominant mistress” used in years. I always thought it was overkill. After reading the piece I can see why the phrase was used. Fascinating reading.