Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards.

Posted by: Soapy

Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards. - 05/26/20 03:22 PM

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but pandemic.

A little over 2 months I ago I purchased a "Green Dot" brand Visa gift card to make an anonymous purchase.

No exaggeration, there are zero options for taking to a human being should a problem arise.

It is all revolving recordings.

It isn't anonymous either. To spend the money on the card you have to register it which requires a social security number, a cellphone number, and an address. The registration site has data validation so you can't put garbage values easily in.

If you have cash on the card more than a month they start charging you a fee.

There is no means of cancelling the card.

There is no means of asking for your money back.

I eventually got my cash "back" by using the card to buy an Amazon gift card.
Posted by: buffalo

Re: Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards. - 05/26/20 10:38 PM

Over the years I’ve thought about using Green Dot numerous times but have always decided not to after reading all the procedures etc on their website. In my case I need a way to save the money or pay for sessions without leaving a paper trail. I don’t think it’s possible.

Re: Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards. - 05/27/20 08:17 AM

I was able to buy the card with cash.

If you don't mind a mysterious ATM withdrawal in your bank records then a gift card, NOT from Green Dot might be a possibility.

My intuition would be that other brands might have similar rules. Given that I doubt the recipient would appreciate having to register the card with their SSN and still not be able to get cash directly.
Posted by: buffalo

Re: Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards. - 05/28/20 01:20 PM

I think my problem is getting cash in the first place without any paper trail evidence like an atm transaction on a bank said statement or bank withdrawal. It’s frustrating because I can
afford to session but can’t access the money to do it. It seemed easier years ago before direct deposit became common place and before everything was online. Plus I will admit I am probably overly paranoid about my wife seeing something and questioning me about it.
I used to see someone regularly who would accommodate me by taking different gift cards
for as much of the session tribute as I wanted to use them for so I could buy the gift cards in vanilla stores.

Re: Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards. - 05/28/20 01:41 PM

That is a tough one.

Even if you got paid in cash the bank records would still show a lower deposit.

My experience with Green Dot and shopping around for a PO Box taught me that you can NOT make an anonymous purchase online.

Thank the criminals, I think those things are in place to prevent money laundering.
Posted by: Komodo

Re: Stay away from Green Dot Visa Gift Cards. - 05/29/20 04:25 AM

You can't win, you can't break it even, you can't even quit the game.