Defining Fetish v Kinks

Posted by: Miss Adah Vonn

Defining Fetish v Kinks - 11/18/19 01:01 AM

I sessioned earlier with a submissive who has a true fetish. I could do just about anything with the item, and he would love the experience. All kinks are fabulous, of course, and also give room for creativity, but something about controlling a fetishist using their not-so-secret weakness feels divine.

This got me thinking once again about the relative definitions of "fetish" and "kink." I tend to think of a fetish as sexual attraction to an item or body part, while a kink is more of an activity. Though fetishes are "kinky," so I suppose the latter is more of an umbrella term.

The level of intensity was a big part of what made it a great scene, and some of that came from using the deep fetish he had cultivated. In my brief research, I did see some reference to fetish being essential to getting off while kinks are fun but not necessary.

Not sure I agree with this one. What do we think?
Posted by: Cheyenne

Re: Defining Fetish v Kinks - 11/18/19 04:44 AM

I've seen both. For the most part, I avoided true fetishists, when I was an active Dom. Most of the fetishists that I met had an itch that could never be scratched. They were also the biggest wankers. There were a a few that were a lot of fun but, most, not so much. Some of my friends/clients thought they had a fetish. No...it wasn't a fetish...it was a kink that could evolve, change, grow and, be more about the lady they were playing with at the time.
Posted by: Kneel4Her

Re: Defining Fetish v Kinks - 11/18/19 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By Miss Adah Vonn

This got me thinking once again about the relative definitions of "fetish" and "kink." I tend to think of a fetish as sexual attraction to an item or body part, while a kink is more of an activity.

I like how you described that. As I mentioned in my fetish post, I have come to realize I have a "fetish" for tall boots. They catch my attention immediately and i find my mind wandering. However, it's not something I must have in a session. Different definitions or perceptions of the word make it a little ambiguous. Perhaps it would make more sense to describe it in terms of intensity. I have a mild fetish for boots. Or he/she has a staunch fetish for stockings to describe a fetish that must be present to achieve pleasure.

Either way, I agree with you. I think of kinky as pertaining to an activity and fetish to an object.

Re: Defining Fetish v Kinks - 11/18/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By Cheyenne
Some of my friends/clients thought they had a fetish. No...it wasn't a fetish...it was a kink that could evolve, change, grow and, be more about the lady they were playing with at the time.

Absolutely, I see this a lot. xx

Re: Defining Fetish v Kinks - 11/18/19 06:19 PM

It is certainly a variable term. The intensity qualifier does make sense, and gives a better picture of what someone actually means. Good one!