This is kind of a weird post -- almost like a school report, I think. But I bought a VR headset that was on sale for Black Friday, and I wanted to share my experience. The TL;DR is that on one hand, I totally get why so many people are enthusiastic about the tech and why it seems so powerful and maybe even inevitable. But on the other hand, I can see lots of reasons why it's not catching on.

First, I got an Oculus Go headset. They're usually $200, but mine was on sale for $150. The Go is a standalone headset -- you don't have to plug it into a computer in order to use it. But it has less power than some others.

There are three things that make VR really interesting. First, it's immersive. When you watch a regular movie or video there's always a frame. With VR, there's no frame everything you can see is part of it. You're inside of it, and there's nothing outside. Second, it's stereoscopic. So it's kind of like a 3D movie, or, if you're older like me, like an old View Master. And third, the headset tracks the movement of your head. This means that if I turn my head left, the scene changes as if I were in a room and turned my head left. If I tilt my head up or down, it's like I was in a room, moving my head, and my field of vision was changing accordingly. This part of it is very smooth and works very well.

What all of this amounts to, in the context of fetish clips, is a very strong illusion of "presence". It's possible for it to feel as if performer in a clip is standing right in front of you -- as if her face were only a few inches from yours, and that you're looking her right in the eye. I have a glove fetish, and I have a couple of clips where a woman wearing gloves holds them right in front of the camera -- it really seems as if a 3D gloved hand is right in front of my face. It's kind of incredible.

That's the good part. Now here's the bad part.

First, femdom is a niche, and VR is another nice, and there really isn't that much out there. I tend to like offbeat stuff, and so while there are big femdom companies that are doing VR clips, they tend to be the kinds of clips that aren't that interesting for me.

Second, making this stuff work is still challenging. I bought a membershp to hologirlsvr.com. They have a really small femdom section. But you can download the clips in several formats. The one that I assumed would work with my headset didn't -- I had to try a different one. In some clips the stereo seems too strong, in other cilps it seems too weak. It kind of seems like it's hard for people to make these clips, that they're still figuring it out.

But then if you think about it from the clip producer's point of view, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The market for VR clips is smaller than the market for regular clips, and making the clips is probably way harder. I looked at cameras online, and good ones seem really expensive. Somehow you have to keep track of all of the different kinds of headsets out there, and make sure you have versions of your clips that will work with all of them. So it just sort of seems like it doesn't make a lot of sense from a business POV.

Finally, it's probably going to be awhile until these headsets have really good resolution. It's not just a situation where they display the two scenes each eye. They're taking two input frames, doing a bunch of calculations based on the position of your head, and then rendering two different output frames that show the scene from the right perspective. It's just hard to do that in an affordable device in a way that seems realistic. So with my headset you can see the pixels, which makes the clips look sort of weirdly tacky in a way that's hard to describe. I assume the more expensive headsets are better, but I don't know.

So it's this weird situation where you try this, and you think, "Oh my god, this is the best thing I've ever seen, I want everything to be in VR from now on." But then when you really think about it, you reallize that it's probalby not going to take over the world any time soon.

The stuff I'd really like to see would be classic fetish clips that take advantage of those illusions of presence and nearness. I mean, heels, stockings, boots, gloves. Not scenes with women dominating men while they wear that stuff, just the woman wearing it. Stuff more like Elember Batters used to do, only in VR.

I just wish it existed. But the market for that sort of thing would be so small I doubt it will ever be made, it would be a giant money loser.

I was looking at cameras, and the best one seems to cost something like $14k, although I think you can use cheaper ones. Beyond that, I don't know how to make films, take good pictures, make VR films, etc. And I'm really too uptight sexually to work with adult performers, who in my experience are wary of guys who have hangups like mine. So I don't think I'll be the guy who makes that happen.

Anyway, that's my school report on VR. smile