I have been thinking of starting this thread for some time. Anticipation has come up in one of Aspx's recent threads and that ties into what I am going to discuss.

The word "subspace" gets bandied about a great deal. While there is no doubt that it is a very real experience I believe it is not a singular phenomenon that differs merely in intensity. Instead I believe it comes in a variety of different flavors. Some of those I have experienced and will describe phenomenologically. I will speculate about some others. I will also speculate about neurochemicals even though I am often critical of the type of thinking that reduces the significance of Hamlet to a peptide.

My sessions are mostly masochistic but I am not a purist in that regard (some masos deny being subs at all. I am not one of those) A session is like a good martini. Pain is the gin but some submissive vermouth is needed.

Many of my sessions produce at least 4 different types of Subspace.

First there is presession subspace. Strange as it may sound the two most intense episodes of subspace that I have ever experienced were thinking about the session before it started. In both instances I couldn't sleep which ironically had a negative impact on the session. My neurochemical speculation is that this is mostly a combination of testosterone and adrenaline. For those less maso and more subby the vasopressin plus oxytocin combo probably plays a part.

Then there is session subspace. Added to the chemicals that produce presession subspace there are the endorphins. This is where I think maso subspace differs from other subspace. Though I have a suspicion that adrenaline is extra important for those guys into humiliation.

In many CP sessions there is a bifurcation of my consciousness into one part of me that wants it to end and another part that wants it to continue. When the session is over there is what I call immediate post session subspace. This is the most different flavor of subspace. It is a strong feeling of relief and relaxation. In its most intense forms it is like the world has been recreated anew. My speculation is this involves GABA and serotonin.

And lastly there is next day subspace. Having trouble sitting the next day can once again arouse erotic feelings though still with a tinge of contentment that is hard to explain to someone who is not a maso. Note if it is my back not my butt that is sore this experience is much weaker. Once again testosterone is playing a role but without any adrenaline.