by Soapy
04/26/24 04:50 AM
Where the hell am I?
by Cheyenne
04/25/24 06:39 AM
X POST?
by Soapy
04/23/24 09:34 AM
Dungeon Rentals in Greater Los Angeles or Orange County CA?
by Domina_Felicity_Hart
04/22/24 06:56 PM
New Reviews
Not Quite Reviews but...A List Amazing Mistresses I've Served over the Yrs
by Mistress Tissa
04/14/24 10:22 PM
Domina Sophie Agenoux of LA and San Francisco
by Domina M
04/14/24 04:23 AM
Mistresses Ultra Violet & Carissa Montgomery
by KYboy
04/10/24 04:57 AM
Domina Sohpie Agenoux of Los Angels (SF and Paris too). INCREDIBLE
by EvedLeNashim
04/09/24 05:52 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8750 - 12/15/19 12:11 PM Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed?
Kneel4Her Offline
Regular

Loc: GA
It seems obvious that pain and pleasure are opposites, but why is it that some people derive pleasure from pain and others don't? I think this would be an excellent study for universities to pursue. It would be fascinating to learn how and why the brain interprets signals and sensations.

After reading the article below, I wonder if there is a connection between people that enjoy certain types of pain with thrill seeking behaviors such as roller coasters, sky-diving, spicy food, etc. I love roller coasters, spicy food, going to haunted houses and I have even seriously considered sky diving, although once that high I'm not sure I could actually make myself jump.

For submissives, if you don't like pain do you also not like things such as spicy food and sky diving? Or if you do enjoy pain do you also enjoy thrill rides and activities?

The Neurobiology of BDSM Sexual Practice

Edited by Kneel4Her (12/15/19 02:03 PM)

#8754 - 12/15/19 01:39 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: Kneel4Her]
buffalo Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
That link is not working for me.

#8757 - 12/15/19 02:04 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: buffalo]
Kneel4Her Offline
Regular

Loc: GA
Think it should work now. Thanks for letting me know.

#8758 - 12/15/19 02:20 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: Kneel4Her]
AspX Online   content
Sage

Loc: Detroit
Originally Posted By Kneel4Her
For submissives, if you don't like pain do you also not like things such as spicy food and sky diving? Or if you do enjoy pain do you also enjoy thrill rides and activities?

I think the connection between these things for some subs is in the brain chemistry and stimulating dopamine releases, which gives you that euphoric feeling, and occurs with all these activities as well as psin. However, and I hate to play into stereotypes here, some painsluts are working out childhood issues rather than it being about using dopamine to access subspace and/or euphoria.

Personally, I hate pain... I accept it and therefore submit to a Domme's will by doing so but I freaking hate the sensation itself. However, I really love roller coasters (I have actually taken Dommes to both Cedar Point and Six Flags Magic Mountain on completely non-kinky day trips) as well as spicy foods that taste good (although I have no interest in hot challenges).

I guess my point is that there is a casual link between these things and you can find that chemical basis, but you can also ask about punk/metal music or goth/Halloween culture and find the same linkages.

#8759 - 12/15/19 04:46 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: Kneel4Her]
Swordfish Online   content
Regular

Loc: California
I like pain (although it's not my primary motivator for femdom), love spicy food, hate roller coasters and sky diving. I boxed for many years and love combat sports, and also, terrified of public speaking and hate trying new foods.

So there you go, a complete mis-mosh of mixed signals on risk tolerance and adventurousness

#8761 - 12/15/19 05:38 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: Kneel4Her]
The Thomas Online   content
Addict

I am a pretty heavy maso. I like very spicy food as a change of pace but not as my regular fare. I sort of liked roller coasters when I was much younger but have long since outgrown it. Never had any interest in skydiving.

The article is again making the neurochemical theory of masochism which I regard as being only partially true and incomplete.

However I give the article some credit for including humiliation as well as physical pain.

"How can one experience pain, either the physical pain of a smack on the tush or the emotional pain of humiliation, as pleasurable? "

I have been tempted to start a thread entitled "Humiliation Masochism"

#8763 - 12/15/19 10:19 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: Swordfish]
AspX Online   content
Sage

What about forced (instructed) Karaoke?

#8764 - 12/15/19 10:22 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: The Thomas]
AspX Online   content
Sage

Thomas,

As soon as I saw this I was really hoping you were gonna jump in... You have given the best explanations of nuerochemistry and BDSM of anyone I have ever read.

Was really tempted to pull up that old thread between you & Mistress Ayn since most people weren't around back then to treat it but then I saw a squirrel and forgot about it.

#8779 - 12/16/19 08:59 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: AspX]
The Thomas Online   content
Addict

Originally Posted By AspX
Thomas,

As soon as I saw this I was really hoping you were gonna jump in... You have given the best explanations of nuerochemistry and BDSM of anyone I have ever read.

Was really tempted to pull up that old thread between you & Mistress Ayn since most people weren't around back then to treat it but then I saw a squirrel and forgot about it.

Asp,

I think you are referring to this thread.

http://domina.ms/~domroot/thebuzz/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2555&page=1

#8780 - 12/16/19 11:32 PM Re: Pain and pleasure - diametrically opposed? [Re: Kneel4Her]
buffalo Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
I read the article and found it interesting. It’s hard for me to put my own feelings and experience in the context of the article and your post. I don’t consider myself a risk taker but I probably am. I’m not sure why but I’ve always gone hard at things and to my detriment on a number of occasions. I also like sensation. Sexually I am definitely a submissive and a masochist but my relationship to pain is complicated. I don’t enjoy it but I need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Who's Online
313 registered (Poester, langerr, tosser, Domina M, TheDriver, international, Cheyenne, Soapy, Chi61, midlet, buffalo, Mistress Tissa, nysubjack, Eva Lordes, Ms_Gia_Peccato, Stern Miss Lea, 2Balls1Cock, Old_Timer_FL, WestAugust, Mistress Berlin NYC, CelesteTaylor, The Thomas, marstoy, painslut, HenryB, gfred1, palmer, broom, mbilbo, HellionCobRoller, Curiouser, shlem, badboy, DommeLynx, DominaAdmin, Chuck123, artiemus1, T-bone, zeta, cbtlover, Dominions, Gil, EvedLeNashim, Violetwand, denali, schrads, Bruce88, MsRoseWoods, furfan, Mistress UV, Moth to a Flame, EllaStrictland, Lady Paradise, ElenaDeLuca, Browniepoints95, Bruxelles, Boucheron, Lady Bellatrix, Slv4u, Lady Velvet Steel, SeekingAdventure, domtsub, Robert1218, sheba322000, Swinburne, ztrade, LAN, Awillingstudent, Domina_Felicity_Hart, Jeffmill999, Protons1, SlaveGunner, Felix, ingridguerci94, bane, ChicagoSlicker, cbot, GulfCoastal, strangefruit, Jogo, Mistress Aurianna, Alexandra Snow, Gaped_Crab, KinkyBoston, Natasha Strange, slvmaximus, bondagelover, llf, sfotk1, servedeaj, need to serve, Chamberpot, Stephen M, jadreg13, Lpbri, Eastbabyhuey, Mistress Ayn, mass, Kallcarrty, jeanmarc, MayaMidnight, mikel, kefxb24, porkster, Bound ashtray Man, Ma$oboy, Madam Jess, MsKittyLaReaux, GrimmX, SubbyAnt, KYboy, chuck, zetaomicron, Ganon110, felicia, sellinggr, Komodo, mike04071, Normaldude, jlars555, isuffr4her, Mistress Kiva Krimson, Mistress Troy, Scs202323, Oliver Cromwell, coockiemonsterworshp, Framed, Jean A, Smiley, Nirolog, mtsub69, Stretch, Miss Grey, DominaM, kinkybootbeast, Ragman, achance, selfold52, Mistress Snow, Domina Lady Grace, Chogal, Mistress Emanuelle, Jupiter Lake, GoddessAvecti, all2easy, Mistress Ruby Riots, frank, Jaco, Liquid6, bdsmlover, xen2002, pinkcaboose, 1491John, maxadmin, socalkev, iluvfetish, slave47, loup1, DarkMuse, MissMary, Victoria_Cayne, Sid, Spark, Mick681, J Michelle, MF_Drummer, tabula, twerkfordommes, fire, Julia Steele, milagros317, MistressMaraM, TadShy, DivineRulerOroroSnow, ScoobyBelfast, PASubMale, Dr. Pleasure, tophumiliatrix, Aztoilet, Harryst1098, Trample24, owned, Slave321, SCmainer, dambiber, dsorbet, teliot, coderanger, Subaddict, Thedylangong, fogo, pod, Njjerry, DeanChase, Fahrenheit451, whacked1, Paul Thompson, ejohnslpss, Charlesw98, Lerker, TedBCruisin, subchuck, loserflower, sailor, MistressNight, gimp, Miss Nyxon, Serafina Imperia, Zag, jakzopan, VinylQueen, Fetishpatient, tylerr, Sublime2199, shitfaceloser, Lazarus91, zrfwd, KookieKrumble, Subnick, TIERRA DOLL, Nina, chucksub1, slave boy jaime, Dudex, GoddessCapri, Ms Regan Black, Scott, shanghaimistress, Domme, worm, JensTFace, TheHand, Bert65, Promoesport, Betty Cocker, Bill Coda, AtlantaDungeon, ratamac, whatstime, ironboy, Phill, truesubtipp, madman1_rug, Pam I, Let’s go downtown, Sissybuttslave, mark5Bnyc, ohixe, Dominatrix Rin, Blt2Rob, jh3623964, Easygoesit, Jimmysam, Lynda, DeadEyeDick, Promethius, pnc71009, Tdi, Spear Head, MistressIsadora, BBsub, Luckyme_xyz, Xpirmentwme69, Frankfrank, sdskelly, bbwlover4ever, uno, harderplease, grex73, DanLee118787, Arnth, blackhammer32, CaptainFantasy, PNWSub, junglebeast, acquiesced, fetishfan4, sub_ted, Krisjones, Gs8483, ollikeem, chase, tgy, RobSub, AaronGrant, hofn, joe, DiaperSissyBaby, Siger, ear, undercurrent, Marlin2000, quietman, CheekClapper, Toiletmouth4u, Sam240, buckeyerob1212, Swordfish, greta garters, buckeyerob, actionjackson647, Darkknight265, bubi, Ramukc, Bokslav, spike4848, Erock9090, Sorceressmorgana, SamBorn, guillermopelotas, Bladezeus, angel666, AspX), 32961 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Mrs. Weltsova