There is some discussion about the point of references in the main forum. I'd rather discuss my viewpoint about them in my own forum.

People mistakenly think that references, like other safety precautions, are meant to eliminate risk, and so if they don't do that then they are pointless. This is a misunderstanding of their purpose. There is nothing that eliminates the risks you take with a client -- except not seeing any. References are risk *reduction* measures.

If I ask for a reference from another Domme I take it as an indicator of what that client might be more or less likely to do. I take it as evidence that the client may be more reliable or safe than someone who has no one to vouch for them. I do not take it to mean that I will be guaranteed to not have an issue with them.

I have had clients for whom I've received a good reference act childishly, rudely, even criminally. Do I think I should stop asking for references because of this? Fuck no.

One time my checking references prevented a potentially dangerous situation. I found out a guy was lying about his and was on the blacklist for being abusive and making threats. (Which he did to me when I said I had to cancel our session.) Had I not checked and just thought a deposit was enough things could have gone very badly.

There are many other situations that they help protect us from. People who don't understand this may just lack the experience or imagination to know the gamut of risks we face in this line of work.