09/08/24 10:50 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21210 - 07/07/24 08:26 AM On-Line Scams/Catfishing
Domina M Online   content

Addict

Loc: Paris, France
Hey All!

How many of you have come across online and/or catfishing scams? Not dommes with bad business practices or who overstate their abilities, but outright scams--fraudulent profiles, ads, or full websites? How far did you go before you figured something wasn't right? What tipped you off? What are the green flags when negotiating a first session with a new domina?

I ask because I still get asked to prove myself, and I don't know how other than booking directly on my website, which one can see I have had for 20+ years, or looking at my X, which I have had for 15 years. Someone yesterday came after me about some woman claiming to be me who obviously wasn't. I asked for the link to where he contacted this person with my picture, but he couldn't provide it. I don't know how to explain people who have stolen my picture, especially when I don't have a reference for it.

Is telling people to go to my actual site not cutting it?

Advice is appreciated.

#21211 - 07/07/24 09:34 AM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Domina M]
Chi61 Online   content
Regular

I see it on Twitter/X all the time. Both just fake accounts/profiles and ones stealing/spoofing real Dommes. Seems pretty easy to tell they are fake: few/no followers, no/few posts, they initiate contact eg they follow me, or try to message me. Ridiculous statements like “seeking slave, send tribute to apply”, that kind of stuff.

Not sure how folks get fooled tbh. I would just say what a Domme once told me: “I get it you’re a horny boy, and horny boys do horny boy things”

#21212 - 07/07/24 10:22 AM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Domina M]
Soapy Online   happy
Addict

Sort of like asking the Pope to prove they are catholic.

Honestly, if messaging you through your web site isn't enough I would just dismiss that person.

#21213 - 07/07/24 10:25 AM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Chi61]
junglebeast Online   sad
Addict

Originally Posted By Chi61
Not sure how folks get fooled tbh. I would just say what a Domme once told me: “I get it you’re a horny boy, and horny boys do horny boy things”

Domina M, I get the feeling that the person who contacted you may wanted to engage in a few emails and was not serious about having a session.

I'm not in the market, but if I found a Mistress who intrigued me since we seem to have the same tastes, I'd do the following: check to see if she has a website; check if she has social media & for how long; Google her name to see if reviews and/or red flags appear; and visit sites like this and see what has been posted about her, or post if anyone has served her. And check whether the deposit is required, or within your budget to lose. And, really consider if you are willing to provide your ID to a complete stranger.

This type of discussion reminds how I ever took a chance answering New York Magazine's now defunct "Role Play" personal ads to contact a Mistress in the '90s, and how they took a chance posting the ads. Two or three lines of copy, name and a phone number. The phone calls were an interesting dance too. You had to be respectful, yet get some info about the Mistress and her repertoire. The Mistress has to provide some info, entice the sub and figure out if you were legit, NYPD or an axe murderer all in a three minute or so phone call.

To echo Chi61's comment, my hard earned advice to fellow subs is, "Think with the head on your shoulders, and NOT the one between your legs."

#21215 - 07/07/24 12:36 PM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Domina M]
Mistress Tissa Offline

Sage

Loc: Philadelphia
It's possible that scammers are pretending to be clients and asking for you to "prove" yourself so they can get ideas about how to deal with similar inquiries as they try to scam others.

If someone asked me to prove myself at this point, I'd either tell them to do their research or I'd ignore them. If they can't figure it out then they are likely not the kind of client I'm looking for anyway.

#21216 - 07/07/24 03:38 PM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Mistress Tissa]
Mistress UV Online   content

Enthusiast

Loc: Atlanta
Originally Posted By Mistress Tissa
It's possible that scammers are pretending to be clients and asking for you to "prove" yourself so they can get ideas about how to deal with similar inquiries as they try to scam others.

Never really thought of this point before, always assumed that these guys were just normal idiots/timewasters.

It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario sometimes, they won't send a deposit unless they meet me, I won't meet them without a deposit. So they end up with an email from me saying in a few more words, "Tough Shit".

Edited by Mistress UV (07/07/24 03:40 PM)

Owner & Operator of Atlanta Dungeon

(404)-825-5106
Mistressultraviolet@yahoo.com
mistressultraviolet@proton.me

www.mistressultraviolet.com
www.atlantadungeon.com

#21218 - 07/07/24 07:25 PM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Mistress UV]
Mistress Tissa Offline

Sage

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By Mistress UV
Never really thought of this point before, always assumed that these guys were just normal idiots/timewasters.

Some of them are, but I know some of them are running more elaborate operations. There are literally companies in India set up as scam centers -- and some of these guys are pretty smart, actually. Look them up on YouTube, if you're curious.

Quote:
It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario sometimes, they won't send a deposit unless they meet me, I won't meet them without a deposit. So they end up with an email from me saying in a few more words, "Tough Shit".

At this point I have zero people balk about a deposit. I make it clear what my rules for engagement are on my site. And that I'm very much worth it. No one complains. To me, anyway. smile If they did, I'd just ask them to go see if they can hire an attorney or a caterer or rent an apartment without a deposit/retainer.

#21220 - 07/08/24 03:44 AM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Mistress Tissa]

Addict

Ahhhh, I never thought about this. Most often, my response is to research my website and Twitter history. I am obviously a real person, and after that, I can do nothing for them. If they have trust issues, they should contact me after they have worked on it.

It feels like it is more and more. I was wondering if people are getting dumber, but this makes sense in a dystopian kind of way.

#21221 - 07/08/24 03:48 AM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Chi61]

Addict

I feel scams are pretty obvious, TBH. Scams of all types are everywhere, and I have been scammed as well. I am so cautious when ordering clothes online. Clothes made en-mass in China generally don't fit my figure.

#21222 - 07/08/24 03:49 AM Re: On-Line Scams/Catfishing [Re: Soapy]

Addict

I do; it seems to be more and more prevalent these days. I was wondering if there are more scams out there and just how people are getting scammed. I can spot a scam from a mile away, but I live in this world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Who's Online
54 registered (Chi61, Mistress Mickey, denali, Curiouser, marstoy, buffalo, junglebeast, langerr, kinkybootbeast, broom, Bruce88, Soapy, CelesteTaylor, Kevin, sg22, Domina M, Cheyenne, midlet, Boucheron, gilcarnovsky, DougCooper, gboy, WestAugust, artiemus1, sfotk1, Queen Naomi, subwrestler, The Thomas, Chamberpot, Komodo, MayaMidnight, spankedjester, Browniepoints95, Stern Miss Lea, KinkyBoston, Gagged2, Poester, need to serve, MsRoseWoods, jadreg13, Oliver Cromwell, EvedLeNashim, porkster, bdsmlover, Dr. Pleasure, Awillingstudent, Doc Domina, Mistress UV, Chuck123, Lady Bellatrix, kefxb24, Oeste13, Lady Velvet Steel, Naughtyboi1981), 1656 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Mistress Jada Sinn